Tubeless

camerauk
camerauk Posts: 1,000
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a pair of specialized ground control tyres which I was running with tubes on DT-Swiss 445D rims
I got fed up with getting punctures last week(3 on one ride) so decided to take the tubeless route, so on advise of lbs they fitted some yellow rim tape for me for £3 to both wheels and vales for £8 and sold me some stans sealant for £14
I fitted tyres at home to rims pumped up with track pump to seal the tyres then took off a small section of tyre and filled with the correct amount of sealant then pumped up with track pump again left over night
rear tyre was same pressure but front had dropped so pumped up again and took it for a spin now both tyres holding pressure went out for a long ride Sunday and all seems great
Can running tubeless really be this easy? £25 total cost :D
also any idea why you would need the stans black rim strip??
I had fears of it being really hard with sealant everywhere and tyres coming off rims etc
Specialized Camber Expert
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Some rim and tyre combinations can be very loose. The rim strip makes things work better in this respect!
  • camerauk
    njee20 wrote:
    Some rim and tyre combinations can be very loose. The rim strip makes things work better in this respect!

How would you know if it was to loose and needed the strip just don't want the tyre to pop off the rim when cornering etc
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nah, they'll just not inflate. It flattens the profile of the rim and stops the tyre retreating into the well as can happen with some rims. If they've gone up and stayed up I'd not worry yourself.
  • camerauk
    Ok great cheers for that
    Specialized Allez Sport