Pro cycling related holiday reads

dangerousdave.
dangerousdave. Posts: 57
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Firstly I appreciate this is not directly related to pro-racing however I'm hoping the "clientel" who look at this forum are probably best placed to answer this question.

I'm off on hols in a fortnight or so and am looking for some a couple of decent pro biking reads (whether they be biographical or otherwise) to occupy me during the break. Have already read Cav's biography and read "My journey back to live" a number of years ago therefore these two are off the list.

Cheers
DD

Comments

• ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Nico Roche's book is interesting. I've just got a biography of Shay Elliott out of the library :) to read next.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I found Racing Through the Dark by David Millar excellent. There's a review here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jun/17/racing-dark-david-millar-review.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Major Taylor: The Fastest Bicycle Rider in the World
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage, if you haven't already read it. Yes, it's about doping, but it's also about how absurdly hard life as a neo-pro and early career pro is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There's quite a few mentioned in this thread from a few years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12642454&p=15530711
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • aspender
    aspender Posts: 96
    I'd also recommend Racing Through the Dark.

In the more lighthearted category (it is a holiday afterall):

How I won the Yellow Jumper - Ned Boulting
    The Hour: Sporting Immortality the Hard Way - Michael Hutchinson
  • 'Slaying the Badger' by Richard Moore - fantastic read.

Currently reading his book about Robert Millar, which is also really interesting.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Another vote for Ned Boulting's book (well my girlfriend's vote), she says its very good and funny.

I am reading 'Tour de France' by Graem Fife. Its a good book, some of the stories of the historic exploits of riders like Henri Pelissier and Eugene Cristophe are just ridiculous and sound almost made up.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Sorry if they've been mentioned already...
    'Flying Scotsman' - the Graeme Obree story, I love. He's probably one of my 3 cycling heroes, which helps...

'The Rider' - Tim Krabbé. A brilliant fictionalised account of bike racing.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Think there is a list on inrng.com but the new Roche book is supposed to be good. 'Dog in a Hat' by Joe Park is about Belgian racing and is highly recommended
    M.Rushton
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    +1 for Racing in the Dark and Slaying the Badger.

I'll be getting the Roche autobio for my summer reading and Alasdair Fotheringham's new one on Federico Bahamontes - haven't read any reviews, so I'd be interested in hearing of any one's first impressions.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    I thought Pedalare ! Pedalare ! - by John Foot was very good ... and We Were Young & Carefree by Laurent Fignon was also v good..
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    French Revolutions by Tim Moore. Good for afficionados and noobs alike
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    I've just pre-ordered this book on Gino Bartali

Road to Valour: Gino Bartali: Tour de France Legend and Italy's Secret World War Two Hero

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Valour-Bar ... 419&sr=8-1

Apart from the American wording, I much prefer the cover of the American version
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Valor-Cycl ... 492&sr=8-1
  • ShavenLegs
    ShavenLegs Posts: 33
    Best one about a current pro - Racing Through The Dark, David Millar
    Richard Moore books are always good and In Search of Robert Millar is worth the read
    French Revolutions by Tim Moore is good entertainment - the first chapter or two are a bit slow, but its very funny once you get into it.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    I found "Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi" by William Fotheringham an excellent read if your interest go back to around WWII and the early 50's. A fascinating story not only of one of the all-time greats but an interesting insight into Italian attitudes of the time.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallen-Angel-Passion-Fausto-Coppi/dp/0224074504/ref=sr_1_1?=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339173183&sr=1-1
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • esafosfina
    esafosfina Posts: 131
    Joe Parkin's "Dog in a Hat" is an excellent read (sorry, biased!) as is Hutchinson's account of his Hour bid... Problem is with overwhelming majority of biogs, you know where the book is going! I recently finished a translation of a book on Fausto Coppi (think it was: The True Story by JP someone?) Also Richard Moore's "Slaying the Badger" is a solid read.