Cycling summer wardrobe tip...

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
... from a girl who cares about your modesty.

Now that it's June, it might be an idea to carry out the following check;

Open wardrobe/cycling kit drawer.
Pull out lycra shorts.
Put one leg in, and then the other.
Pull up.
Turn around in front of the mirror - you may want to do a coquettish pout and bend over at this stage for comedic effect.
If you can see your bum, then THROW THEM IN THE BIN. No "but they are my favourite pair" or "I did the Etape in these" - it's time for a clear out.

I did the 52 Great Manchester cycle yesterday and for three hours I had to keep averting my gaze, such was the number of saggy, baggy see-through lycra shorts. And Chorlton Velo - yes, I'm pointing at you - that bike shop who sponsor you and told you that white/lemon kit was a good look was having a laugh. I know you like riding in a peloton, but nobody else should have to suffer the view from behind. It's a good job it didn't rain - I had to wash my eyes out with bleach when I got home as it was.

So please. Do your fellow cyclists a favour and do a quick lycra check. If in doubt, throw them out.

This has been a public service announcement from Ms Mancunia.
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    :lol:
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    and what does your rear look like in lycra then?
    I'm sure my behind looks great when I'm wearing my bib-tights, I've got rock-solid buns, I just worry about the front!
    Anyway, I'm not buying any more lycra, getting too long in the tooth for that.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    byke68 wrote:
    and what does your rear look like in lycra then?
    I'm sure my behind looks great when I'm wearing my bib-tights, I've got rock-solid buns, I just worry about the front!
    Anyway, I'm not buying any more lycra, getting too long in the tooth for that.

Whilst only fair that msmancunia posts pictures I think she is referring to that worn out see through lycra :wink:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    msmancunia wrote:

Pull out lycra shorts.
    Pull up.
    Turn around in front of the mirror - you may want to do a coquettish pout and bend over at this stage for comedic effect.
    If you can see your bum, then THROW THEM IN THE BIN. No "but they are my favourite pair" or "I did the Etape in these" - it's time for a clear out.

I did the 52 Great Manchester cycle yesterday and for three hours I had to keep averting my gaze, such was the number of saggy, baggy see-through lycra shorts. And Chorlton Velo - yes, I'm pointing at you - that bike shop who sponsor you and told you that white/lemon kit was a good look was having a laugh. I know you like riding in a peloton, but nobody else should have to suffer the view from behind. It's a good job it didn't rain - I had to wash my eyes out with bleach when I got home as it was.

So please. Do your fellow cyclists a favour and do a quick lycra check. If in doubt, throw them out.

2993d1229236014-body-art-this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    This made me LOL. Cheers Ms Mancunia!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Ah the worn/stretched thin lycra look, yes not a good look. also the builders bum look...

mind you same goes for (mostly) ladies, and tops... I think the forum meme was ram air scoop...

mind you my wife claims that low scooped dresses on nice days, makes for *very* friendly traffic on the bike!
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Haha white cycling shorts? No chance, not even if i was the world champ! :lol:
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • trogg-
    trogg- Posts: 5
    msmancunia, you sure you didn't turn up too early ? :arrow: http://www.ibikemcr.org.uk/?q=node/5668
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    msmancunia wrote:

Pull out lycra shorts.
    Pull up.

Beware....it's not only shorts you have to watch out for. I ride to work in my work clothes, and found out the hard way that ordinary trousers wear out just the same around the saddle area; whilst bending down to pick something up a couple of months ago there was a comedy ripping noise (all that was missing was some Carry On-esque music and Kenneth Williams exclaiming "Matron!!") and a resulting gaping hole. Fortunately my knee-length lab coat preserved the modesty until I was able to retrieve a spare pair that were fortunately sat in my locker purely 'cause I hadn't taken them home to wash. Phew. :oops:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Haha white cycling shorts? No chance, not even if i was the world champ! :lol:

Worse still in wet weather!

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I was riding in the lightweight summer baggies (not bike specific) that I like the other day when the 'thinning through friction' effect came on with a vengeance.

I noted a small 1/2" tear in the 'gentleman's area' when getting off the bike mid-ride for a drink. This developed into a four-inch rip within a few miles......I was commando and 15 miles from home :oops: Suffice to say that I did not come up from the drops all the way home :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I saw this on a guy who I've often seen on my commute (but not for months). You genuinely don't know what to do. :shock:
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    This also happens with swimwear.

Need I say more...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yup, all those light colours for lycra are bad. Often used to see a guy in a kind of faded electric blue pair of shorts which would have a large sweat patch right down the crack sick0020.gif
    FCN = 4
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I saw this on a guy who I've often seen on my commute (but not for months). You genuinely don't know what to do. :shock:
    Overtake!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    notsoblue wrote:
    I saw this on a guy who I've often seen on my commute (but not for months). You genuinely don't know what to do. :shock:
    Overtake!
    I thought the wide eyed look was GB staring at said guy.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Veronese68 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Overtake!

Lol - have to admit I perfected my "staring into the middle distance" face on Monday. Not much option to do anything else, otherwise I turn into my Bridget Jones alter-ego. GB - I was concentrating so much on NOT looking ahead that I nearly fell off.

I looked at the official photos today and there was one guy who was wearing a pair of Lampre shorts (no, not that one) who was one of the guilty ones AND HE'S IN MY PHOTO! I'm just glad it's a front view and not a back one.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Overtake!

Lol - have to admit I perfected my "staring into the middle distance" face on Monday. Not much option to do anything else, otherwise I turn into my Bridget Jones alter-ego. GB - I was concentrating so much on NOT looking ahead that I nearly fell off.

I looked at the official photos today and there was one guy who was wearing a pair of Lampre shorts (no, not that one) who was one of the guilty ones AND HE'S IN MY PHOTO! I'm just glad it's a front view and not a back one.

Ha - just read this... This was during my Brompton days, one of those 'I'm faster than you' guys, although I regularly stayed with him to the end... :roll:

Honestly MsM, I share your pain... it's a tad gross when you see it!
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS