Tenerife or Gran Canaria

sherer
sherer Posts: 2,460
Hi

Already done a bit of a search through the forum already. Am looking into going to either Gran Canaria or Tenerife in Sept for a weeks holiday and also get in some cycling while i'm there. I know Tenerife has Mount Teide but are there any of other actual mountains there i.e ones where you can do a decent amount of climbing.

For Gran Canaria I know the results but no idea really about cycling.

Also does anyone know anywhere decent to stay, had this before where I booked a package holiday and then the hotel didn't want the bikes anywhere near the hotel

Comments

• forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    Every Ride in GC wil involve a climb :)
    Would suggest you look for bungalow type accommodation (ideal in that there is room for bike and box) - Maspalomas would be ideal with plenty of that sort of thing and outside of playa de englaise (party town), its usually worth booking half board ideally with an eat as much as you like option. Book your bike on when you book (cira£30) and LET THE LOCAL COUNTRY/RESORT REP know you have a bike. GC coach drivers generally hate bikes and prior warning is V useful. Should be able to get a package for £500. -
    Some absolutely fabulous climbs and descents - which I prefer to the alps - perfect road surfaces and considerate drivers in the mountains. Last spring I ran in Cancellara and also a couple of teams that use the place for their training camp. vids on you tube (will be a few more soon)
    you can push yourself as much as you like........http://app.strava.com/rides/9155051
    and valley of the tears is a particularly apt name for one of the climbs.
    A week would be about right to explore and have different variations - it is after all an island with a singular mountain in the middle - from which you can see Mt Teide like a mirage in the distance. Check the weather for wind every morning, the coast can be windy(world famous for windsurfing) and ideally you dont want to cycle into into it to get home. To get back home on the coast you are OK to use the main roads, many do and there are Very wide shoulders - even the duel carriage ways are OK (I say that as I always avoid them in the UK).

(also VGood hire place in Playa des englaise - cannondale mid&top range inc Di12 - and they do organised rides and last time I looked had routes on their website)

Never been in Autumn so unsure of weather
  • Plenty of stuff to ride in Tenerife. You are always either going up or down. There are only two sections of flat roads on the island. Check here: http://www.tenerife-training.net/Cyclin ... nerife.php

Also has some accommodation info.
  • topmoxy
    topmoxy Posts: 138
    check out "free motion" in GC rode with them back in March, excellent bikes and routes. will be going back again next year. as said before every ride has some very good climbs. once out of town the roads were very quiet. cant wait to go back. we stayed in "the bungalows" maspalomas no probs with bikes
  • sherer
    one question to ask about either island. Originally I want to go to the Alps and do a few proper mountains but my mate isn't fit enough for that yet. With either island is it only really Mount Teide plus the one mountain on GC that is over 1000m high and we can do a proper climb and long descent ?
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    GC is a superb place to ride - been for several years at Xmas each year.

Dont underestimate the climbs there - start on the beach and ride for 40km to 2250m!!! Not too many places you can do that... Plenty of good shorter bits of climbing as well as lovely descents, and of course the roads are like glass compared to here. Freemotion is the place to get your bikes if you rent, but just make sure you stay in the S part of the island if you want easy access to them. Check their website for details of lots of routes - in fact all the main routes to ride on the island are pretty much covered there.

I rode the Pyrenees last year, doing all the major climbs on the Raid route, and the climbing in GC is very similar. Good steady gradients and some tough steep areas as well if you look around. The only flat areas are the coast roads where it tends to be busier and you wouldnt really want to ride for long IMHO. The lack of traffic inland is great and its actually very scenic once you get away from the obvious tourist places.

Cant speak for cycling on Tenerife, but can highly recommend GC :D
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • topmoxy
    topmoxy Posts: 138
    Bigpickle summed up GC pretty well i would say, excellent climbs, very good road surface. and best stay on south west coast as it is more sheltered from winds.
  • Also a CG convert after a trip there in December last year. Awesome weather and awesome Climbs - headed up to Pico de las Nieves the highest point of the Island 1,949 metres bit of a baptism of fire as had never climbed anything like it over here ! Now I can't wait to go back.

As others have awesome descents and road surface although some interesting driving standards in town ! Freemotion had an awesome selection of bikes, people on brand new out the both Super Six Evo's when we where there. Will be taking my own bike with me this year though.

I booked through a guy called Ray at www.cyclegrancanaria.com which meant all the accommodation and bike hire, and daily tours where all sorted for me. As a very keen cyclist he ensures you get the most from your visit.
  • sherer
    thanks for all the advice. I'm taking my own mike so just need to sort out flights and accom. I've been to GC before but only did one day of mountain biking and that was just town riding. I actually used freemotion to get the mountain bike.
  • I've ridden both islands in anger, so this is how I'd separate them. Tenerife and Gran Canaria are both great cycling islands separated by roads, routes and riders. GC roads are way better, almost F1 quality throughout, Tenerife roads are out of this world, especially the lunar landscape route that goes past Tiede. You'll not see this type of scenery anywhere else on this planet.

However some of the Tenerife roads were so jarringly rough that it was almost impossible at speed to get your fingers around the levers. There's also a paucity of choice on Ten, once you've clocked the 2 main ones, that's it. GC has at least 25 distinct routes, and I know some have yet to be ridden in a distinct combination.

On GC once you get over past Ayacata and Tejeda or San Nicolas, you're in pro land, because that's all you'll meet, if you're fit enough to red line with them. GC routes and climbs are characterized by short punchy ramps, level sections, and then short punchy ramps with %s over 15 and up to 25%, you'll feel pain you've not felt since that headlock at school.

Tenerife is sneakier, only 4-6% but long, v long wearing down sections of 20 or more km before a land mark appears. Wiggins likes these long boring routes, suits his character apparently. However personally I'd love to see my condition after a week of riding at above 2000m, if only I could afford to stay at the Parador. Your blood hmc level would be up and legally up too!!

In GC you're riding right from the get go, on Ten, it's a long schelp with native knowledge to get out of the urban sprawl.

For now the word is out on GC, Cancellara has property here, Saxobank are committed to 2015 to coming to GC(don’t you read the news) BMC thanks to Cycle Gran Canaria will be here again this winter. Bennati and his trainer come too, gets quite crowded. Nigel Mansells team UK Youth with Magus Backstedt who are sponsored by Cycle Gran Canaria are slated once again to be here next winter.

I have counted over 80 riders on a single climb on GC ( Soria) and it's great fun pretending it's the last Alpine stage and you've got 30 seconds on the peloton! ( really I thought everyone done that!)

The bike hire structure on GC is way better, Free Motion have it sown up and quite rightly too, quality, quantity and German efficiency in equal doses. The bike hire on Tenerife is sporadic; bring your own I'd say. The hotels on GC are a bit soulless, Tenerife are better but more expensive. Food and I'm a foodie is way better on Ten, way way better.

I do know and don't ask how, that Cycle Gran Canaria and Tenerife Bike Training are teaming up to offer a dual island cycling holiday called Twin Peaks, yes you've guessed it. You'll be ferried over from GC and back with both companies pulling out the stops to ensure you can cross off Twin Peaks of the 100 things to do before you die list. Contact either for more details.

So in summary, GC if you in a hurry and want to get sun, routes and bikes without any hassle. If you like adventuring and have patience choose Ten, but for either you'll go back leaner and meaner for the Sunday ride!
    Cycle Gran Canaria,the island for all categories of cyclists.
    http://www.cyclegrancanaria.com
  • BrakeBrake wrote:
    I've ridden both islands in anger, so this is how I'd separate them. Tenerife and Gran Canaria are both great cycling islands separated by roads, routes and riders. GC roads are way better, almost F1 quality throughout, Tenerife roads are out of this world, especially the lunar landscape route that goes past Tiede. You'll not see this type of scenery anywhere else on this planet.

However some of the Tenerife roads were so jarringly rough that it was almost impossible at speed to get your fingers around the levers. There's also a paucity of choice on Ten, once you've clocked the 2 main ones, that's it. GC has at least 25 distinct routes, and I know some have yet to be ridden in a distinct combination.

On GC once you get over past Ayacata and Tejeda or San Nicolas, you're in pro land, because that's all you'll meet, if you're fit enough to red line with them. GC routes and climbs are characterized by short punchy ramps, level sections, and then short punchy ramps with %s over 15 and up to 25%, you'll feel pain you've not felt since that headlock at school.

Tenerife is sneakier, only 4-6% but long, v long wearing down sections of 20 or more km before a land mark appears. Wiggins likes these long boring routes, suits his character apparently. However personally I'd love to see my condition after a week of riding at above 2000m, if only I could afford to stay at the Parador. Your blood hmc level would be up and legally up too!!

In GC you're riding right from the get go, on Ten, it's a long schelp with native knowledge to get out of the urban sprawl.

For now the word is out on GC, Cancellara has property here, Saxobank are committed to 2015 to coming to GC(don’t you read the news) BMC thanks to Cycle Gran Canaria will be here again this winter. Bennati and his trainer come too, gets quite crowded. Nigel Mansells team UK Youth with Magus Backstedt who are sponsored by Cycle Gran Canaria are slated once again to be here next winter.

I have counted over 80 riders on a single climb on GC ( Soria) and it's great fun pretending it's the last Alpine stage and you've got 30 seconds on the peloton! ( really I thought everyone done that!)

The bike hire structure on GC is way better, Free Motion have it sown up and quite rightly too, quality, quantity and German efficiency in equal doses. The bike hire on Tenerife is sporadic; bring your own I'd say. The hotels on GC are a bit soulless, Tenerife are better but more expensive. Food and I'm a foodie is way better on Ten, way way better.

I do know and don't ask how, that Cycle Gran Canaria and Tenerife Bike Training are teaming up to offer a dual island cycling holiday called Twin Peaks, yes you've guessed it. You'll be ferried over from GC and back with both companies pulling out the stops to ensure you can cross off Twin Peaks of the 100 things to do before you die list. Contact either for more details.

So in summary, GC if you in a hurry and want to get sun, routes and bikes without any hassle. If you like adventuring and have patience choose Ten, but for either you'll go back leaner and meaner for the Sunday ride!
    Cycle Gran Canaria,the island for all categories of cyclists.
    http://www.cyclegrancanaria.com
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    I have been to tenerife a couple of times to cycle as my in laws have a flat there. BUy a cheap flight only ticket. We stay in a village called Medano. Last time I took my bike in a bike box and had no problem getting an estate car taxi at the airport. I think it was about 20 Euros to Medano(but that may be a mistake). There is a hotel in the centre of the village but I would rent a flat for the week. The bike shop in Medano is Superb. Last year it had Ridleys and this year I think it is Focus. They have maps, everything you have forgotten and are really friendly.

First day cycle to Playa de Americas and then round the coast. Rolling with beautiful views of the sea and some sharp ascents.

next day cycle unto Vilaflor via Granadilla. Alpine type ascent! You start climbing at sea level and just keep going up until you have to stop. either your lungs or Mount Teide! Stop for food and drink, repeat.

Some of the roads are rough in places but compared with the peak district they are beautiful.
  • sherer
    Need to discuss with my mate but am leaning towards GC although would like to get the ferry over one day and have a crack at Mount Teide

Just need to sort out somewhere to stay either Playa Del Ingles or Maspalomas. We will both take our own bikes with us and as we are both a bit slow and do the odd bit of walking up hills will prob stick to cycling on our own although we'll get energy bars and some routes from Free Motion.

Anyone got any previous cycle friendly hotels \ apartments in GC ?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Las Playitas is a good set up for active types.
    Rich
  • sherer
    thanks for that although Las Playitas is in Fuertaventure and not GC. Still doing a bit of research would prefer an apartment to a hotel that won't mind if we turn up with bikes
  • sherer
    still trying to find somewhere to stay in GC. Want somewhere we can keeps in the bikes in the room with us and prefer self catering. Apartment \ bungalow would be superb but need to know they are cycle friendly before we get there. Any help much appreciated
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Marina Suites in Peurto Rico allow bikes in rooms. I've certainly had no problems both times I've stayed there 8)

I know they have had a few cycling teams staying there during training camps, including a Swedish squad !

They do either B&B or self catering, hope that helps :P