How did i do?

snaphappyspen
snaphappyspen Posts: 179
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Hi guys,

I recently did the Manc to Liverpool cycle in 3hours 10 mins, i was aiming for 4 hours as im not a massively competitive cyclist and this has been my longest distance on the bike in one go.

Is this a good time? Average? opinions?
Bike - Scott Aspect 45
Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    im not a massively competitive cyclist
    Followed by...
    Would suggest that you are in fact, a massively competitive cyclist.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. There will always be people faster than you. Much faster. No point even caring about it.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Given that I have no concept of the distance involved and you have not defined the route (on or off road) I cannot judge your performance.

As a web post it is poor.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paulmgreen
    paulmgreen Posts: 158
    ;-)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    im not a massively competitive cyclist
    Followed by...
    Would suggest that you are in fact, a massively competitive cyclist.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. There will always be people faster than you. Much faster. No point even caring about it.

It doesn't have to be about competitiveness, it can be an indicator for fitness, same as those who own cycling computers to measure their progress.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970

It is more of a ride than a race this event but every year lots of people do race it, I dont know what time the first ones come in at but seeing the weather was crap , into the wind all the way and 1/2 of it is off road you have done a good average speed over 40 miles.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It doesn't have to be about competitiveness, it can be an indicator for fitness, same as those who own cycling computers to measure their progress.

But by measuring your fitness against others, that's competition. Otherwise it would be compared to the OPs previous efforts.

Not a bad thing, but not not competitive!
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    No matter what time... You did it...

Well done... I'd of collapsed after half an hour of riding... To the end of my street.
  • Briggo
    njee20 wrote:

But by measuring your fitness against others, that's competition. Otherwise it would be compared to the OPs previous efforts.

Not a bad thing, but not not competitive!

Competition in biology, ecology and sociology is a contest between organisms, animals, individuals, groups, etc. for territory, a niche, or a location of resources, for resources and goods, for prestige, recognition and awards, for mates and group or social status

By comparing against others isn't necessarily about competition i.e. wanting of recognition or reward. You can measure yourself against previous attempts but that still doesn't show that you're in anyway of a reasonable fitness, a fat man who rode 5 miles in 10 hours first time round then does the same track a week later in 4hrs doesnt necessarily mean he is now fit by any terms, however comparing yourself to others you deem fit is a form of measure of your fitness but nowhere are you wanting any form of recognition for it.

I never said he is or isn't being competative, he may well be, I am merely stating that by measuring against others isn't always about competition.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Well done, guess you did on a mtb with knobbly tyres?!

If you want to compare times I think you need to say what bike it was too :-p
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Briggo wrote:
    blah blah bleurgh
    Wow, are you a commuter or something?
  • Briggo
    Briggo wrote:
    blah blah bleurgh
    Wow, are you a commuter or something?

Come on Yeehaa you can do better than that.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't need to though :lol:
  • Who would of thought, this thread would have caused such a reaction from people. All i wanted to know was peoples opinions on the time i did the distance in.
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    No. you did awful...

Or do u want us to stroke your ego? :wink:
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:
    No. you did awful...

Or do u want us to stroke your ego? :wink:

Just a general opinion would have been nice, good or bad.
    Bike - Scott Aspect 45
    Roadie - Trek 1.5 2013
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Well I think you did ok, I suppose you need to say how far it was (is there a standard route?) and if you did it on nobbly tyres or on a road style bike and work out an average speed for a sensible answer.

At the end of the day you rode you bike for 4 hrs without stopping(?) and had a nice day! Maybe compare your average speed to those of races of similar styles of riding that you do to get an idea of how well you are doing!
  • Hi guys,

I recently did the Manc to Liverpool cycle in 3hours 10 mins, i was aiming for 4 hours as im not a massively competitive cyclist and this has been my longest distance on the bike in one go.

I haven't got a clue if your time was any good, All I know is that you did it quicker than I could if I tried.

Glad this is only my second post on this forum, Not the most helpful of places, WTF was wrong with just answering his question ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He asked for opinions, he got opinions. Most peoples' opinions are worthless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    Not the most helpful of places, WTF was wrong with just answering his question ?

It can be a helpful place - there just seems to be very much less tolerance for daft/badly worded questions on here. Or rather there is very much less tolerance from a handful of people, you just learn to ignore the posts from the usual suspects who seem to get out of the wrong side of the bed every morning.
  • sandy771 wrote:
    Not the most helpful of places, WTF was wrong with just answering his question ?

It can be a helpful place - there just seems to be very much less tolerance for daft/badly worded questions on here. Or rather there is very much less tolerance from a handful of people, you just learn to ignore the posts from the usual suspects who seem to get out of the wrong side of the bed every morning.

You'll probably get flamed for that but I agree with you. I sometimes wince at the replies, especially to new members who are probably just asking a question to get their foot in the door as it were and be a part of the discussions, only to be mauled and surprisingly are never seen again. Luckily I have never been on the recieving end, but I have a feeling that may be about change! :lol:
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    sandy771 wrote:
    get out of the wrong side of the bed every morning.
    At least you had a bed. in my day, we used to sleep in a lake. In the middle of the road.
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    sandy771 wrote:
    At least you had a bed. in my day, we used to sleep in a lake. In the middle of the road.

You lived in Wales?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah. Aberystwyth.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    sandy771 wrote:
    A lake. We would have killed for a lake. Or is that a ditch?

I don't get out of bed on the wrong side sometimes. Grumpiness just comes naturally.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools