Headset ?

stickybub
stickybub Posts: 19
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi could some of you help me out i have a set off Rockshox Reba RL Forks on the way for my rockhopper and am thinking i should change the headset at the same time

The headset i'm looking at is Cane Creek Forty Headset - 1 1/8" will this fit my bike and forks and is there bettter i could get for £30

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Technically unless there is something wrong with your existing headset you don't need to change it but if you want to it looks to me like that Forty should fit. As far as I can see/recall, the Hopper doesnt have anythign funky goign on with its headtube.

Personally I have FSA headsets on both my bikes (DH Pro) which have lasted really well and work fine with very little maintenance which suits me. They are a similar price I believe to the Cane Creek.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Unless you have another reason, you shouldn't need to change it. You'll just need to order a new star nut.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    If you keep the old one, you might need to spend a while worrying the crown race off the old fork though...
  • stickybub
    stickybub Posts: 19
    i was thinking of changing it because lately i have been riding in mub and slop an my headset has become very gritty and grindes so thought a better headset would keep the muc out

What is this "crown race off the old fork " should i change it anyway because of this
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Shouldn't take too long, practise! Split crown races are a god send though!!

Edit: try taking it apart and regreasing it, check for pitted cups. The crown race is on the fork and is what the lower bearings run on. You can use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to prise it off the steerer then knock it down flush on the new fork.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    stickybub wrote:
    so thought a better headset would keep the muc out

Possibly so. Better kit has better seals.

Cheaper fixes:

One of those rubber/velcro headset protectors will help.
    Or a bit of old inner tube stretched around the lower headset.