Getting fitter, but getting heavier

Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret Posts: 189
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Anyone else suffer from this or am I deluding myself? I'm well aware that exercise can, If you're not careful, lead to over-eating and weight gain as a consequence but I was wondering whether there was any other (more positive) explanation?

I thought not....

Comments

• griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    Well depending on how your body composition is changing muscle weighs more than fat.. so if you are also bulking up as part of your get fit regime this could explain a bit of it..

however if you are not building a lot of muscle...you're eating too much and /or the wrong things i guess!
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    Actually there is.

Dense muscle tissue is heavier than soft fatty flab.
    If you consider bodybuilders I think in many cases they are happy to put on a bit of weight (bulk up).

I well remember a couple of girls where I used to work moaning about how their gymn sessions were turning out to be rubbish. They were weighed and measured when they turned up and after several weeks of what sounded like actually quite reasonably strenuous workouts, I think more than once a week, they had only lost an odd pound or two. They looked reasonably slim and trim at that point but what was funny was their complaints that the gymn had shown them the losses of a couple of inches round the waist, hips, thighs and upper arms but still hardly any weight.

From your perspective, do you feel fitter and do you think you are trimmer now ?
    If so then job done.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I had the same issue at the start - but some weight has now fallen off as I have increased the length of my weekend rides. (I wasn't overweight to start with and only needed to loose 4-5 kg to be a better cycling weight - nothing to do with needing the weight loss.

Muscle is heavier than fat - so depending on you previous fitness / muscle you may well put weight on initially (especially if you are crunching the low gears and keeping cadence low - which is a very easy habit to get into when you start) - I am a great believer in little steps - eat a little less, but keep it healthy, and get into the habit of a higher cadence (get a bike computer or Garmin to check your cadence) and longer distances - the benefits come quite quickly then in terms of you cycling endurance (and probably weight loss if that is your target) but obviously this all depends on you watching what you eat.

If you want to loose weight fast - just stand outside in the cold with little on and shivering - but this is not going to make you fit or help you loose the worst (for your health) fat which is stored around you main organs.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Anyone else suffer from this or am I deluding myself? I'm well aware that exercise can, If you're not careful, lead to over-eating and weight gain as a consequence but I was wondering whether there was any other (more positive) explanation?
    I thought not....

Were you heavily restricting calories beforehand? What is your exercise diary? ie:what do you do?
    Griffsters wrote:
    Well depending on how your body composition is changing muscle weighs more than fat.. so if you are also bulking up as part of your get fit regime this could explain a bit of it..

however if you are not building a lot of muscle...you're eating too much and /or the wrong things i guess!
    I would have your scales calibrated if I were you. 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle.
  • griffsters
    Griffsters wrote:

I would have your scales calibrated if I were you. 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle.

gotta love the internet! :lol: For the pedants amongst us I guess the correct term is that it is more dense.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Griffsters wrote:
    Griffsters wrote:

gotta love the internet! :lol: For the pedants amongst us I guess the correct term is that it is more dense.

The correct term is " muscle by volume is heavier than fat" therefore an equal measure of each would result in dense muscle being heavier. :lol:

Sorry: It's a stupid weight loss myth that gets thrown around from time to time. And it's 100% incorrect.
  • griffsters
    Aye, its more dense. No need for apologies ;)
  • In response to some of the above questions, I've not radically altered my diet in any way but in the 9 months I've been cycling I've gone from 14 stone 2 to about 14 stone 11. I can't really notice any change in my physique (apart from rock solid legs obviously) although if I'm honest I feel a bit heavier around the middle which would hint at an increase in calorie intake. I suppose I exercise about 4/5 times a week, the vast majority of that in the saddle (usually 25-60 mile bursts around rolling countryside at a pace that let's my legs and lungs know they're not on holiday) and I'm certainly much fitter than I was. But I am concerned that I can't get that balance right between exercise induced hunger and healthy quantities of food (the quality is not an issue as I don't eat rubbish). I've always had a big appetite but lost about 2 stone prior to taking up cycling by following a mainly protein and fruit based diet. Unfortunately that's not really compatible with an endurance activity and it looks like the weight is creeping back up again.

Balls.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    In response to some of the above questions, I've not radically altered my diet in any way but in the 9 months I've been cycling I've gone from 14 stone 2 to about 14 stone 11. I can't really notice any change in my physique (apart from rock solid legs obviously) although if I'm honest I feel a bit heavier around the middle which would hint at an increase in calorie intake. I suppose I exercise about 4/5 times a week, the vast majority of that in the saddle (usually 25-60 mile bursts around rolling countryside at a pace that let's my legs and lungs know they're not on holiday) and I'm certainly much fitter than I was. But I am concerned that I can't get that balance right between exercise induced hunger and healthy quantities of food (the quality is not an issue as I don't eat rubbish). I've always had a big appetite but lost about 2 stone prior to taking up cycling by following a mainly protein and fruit based diet. Unfortunately that's not really compatible with an endurance activity and it looks like the weight is creeping back up again.

Balls.
    I suspect (and only that) that you might have been consuming too little prior to changing your diet to suit endurance sport. It could be one of two cases now: eating too much or as below.

I posted this on another forum recently
    But yeah, when you consume so little then start eating somewhat normally again,the natural response is weight gain as your body is expecting to starve again soon. It's a handy survival tool but the majority of dieters get it all wrong then wonder why they end up bigger than before. I've made no secret of the fact I did it then realised the mistake - put more on only to lose it again sustainably.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I managed a quick 20 miles yesterday morning, much of it into a stiff headwind. After showering we popped out to the pub, by which time I was starving, so I downed 2 pints of Guinness and a massive plate of beer battered cod, chips and peas. Even ate all the salad garnish.

I'm not taking this weight loss thing seriously enough...
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Cycling being more a cardio kind of workout rather than powerworkout to pump up muscles I dont think the ''muscle is heavier than fat'' rule applies here.

It might have to do with your diet. If you eat junk all the time, you'll gain weight even if riding a bike regularly.
    Myself I eat an awful lot, I try to keep it healthy but, I do eat much more than I probably should just because I love eating. I dont think the 150-200km a week I ride is enough to compensate that so I might gain some weight over time, though I definitely notice my fitness betting better aswell.

I guess it's just a combination of many considerable factors to which you have to find a balance in yourself. And remember, gaining weight doesnt always mean being unhealthy!
  • klep wrote:
    And remember, gaining weight doesnt always mean being unhealthy!

No, but it does make me look like a tub of lard which is a look I've been trying to angle away from for some time now
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    klep wrote:
    And remember, gaining weight doesnt always mean being unhealthy!

No, but it does make me look like a tub of lard which is a look I've been trying to angle away from for some time now

I think to convince yourself that it's muscle and not fat would be a big mistake. It almost certainly isn't.

Eat better, eat a bit less. Perhaps you're assuming that you burn more calories than you actually do from your cycling? That seems to be very common as people think that Garmin calorie counts and online ones are accurate. They're not and many massively overestimate the number of calories burnt.
    More problems but still living....
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I have a slightly different problem. I am getting fitter and losing weight. I have gone from almost 14 stone to 11 stone 9 pounds in a year and I am quite proud of myself. I am almost at the weight I got married at 22 long years ago. I have done this by reducing portion sizes, not eating until I feel stuffed and cutting out bread and unhealthy cereals (which I used to eat a lot of)

And lots of cycling.

The problem I have is that my wife and family are constantly telling me I look too thin, whilst I still have what I would call a fare sized spare tyre around my waist still to shift.

My wife was always telling me I was a fat b***ard, now I am too skinny :roll:

I just can't win.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    I have a slightly different problem. I am getting fitter and losing weight. I have gone from almost 14 stone to 11 stone 9 pounds in a year and I am quite proud of myself. I am almost at the weight I got married at 22 long years ago. I have done this by reducing portion sizes, not eating until I feel stuffed and cutting out bread and unhealthy cereals (which I used to eat a lot of)

And lots of cycling.

The problem I have is that my wife and family are constantly telling me I look too thin, whilst I still have what I would call a fare sized spare tyre around my waist still to shift.

I just can't win.

Have you considered getting a new wife?
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

And lots of cycling.

I just can't win.
    Have you considered getting a new wife?

:lol::lol: Only when awake :lol:

OP why not do a food diary for a couple of weeks- its a bit of a pain in the @rse but it will give you an idea of how many calories your eating each day and if you are overdoing it. Once you get yourself on track and get used to any change you can drop the diary again and just dip back in when required. Livestrong.com is free and works pretty good.
    Dont believe any bike computer or website telling you your calorie consunption from your mileage(unless you have a power meter) I would halve any estimates they give you.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Ringo 68 wrote:

And lots of cycling.

I just can't win.

Don't worry I get exactly the same from my wife - at 85kg I was a fat git and she was moaning that I do no aerobic exercise - now at 77kg I am just too skinny and she wants me to eat more and cycle less - I just ignore all comments now - seems to work for me :)
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I go to see a nutritionist at a hospital, they weigh you, accurately, and tell you how many kilos your fat weighs and how many kilos your muscle weigh, I hear they have these same scales at the gym/doctor's.

Accurate measurement will tell you whether your weight gain/loss is down to fat or muscle and will remove any doubt about whether you are 'fitter' or not.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Laying down more lean muscle mass and increased blood plasma volume can lead to weight gain, but nothing too massive. Having said that I stopped going to the gym through the week and did cycling full time and gained 5kg, but I was a lot fitter and faster.

However, you could feel hungrier from the increased exercise, and are maybe not even over eating, just eating the wrong things.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361
    I suspect it is portion size. There is a tendency after a long ride to say I can eat everything and up the portion size or just relax a bit.

I use the weight watchers app with my wife and an hour of strenuous cycling is about one chicken breast of food, cooked with the skin off and no sauce. One hour of gentle cycling is worth almost nothing. If you have used some rehydration fluid and eaten a gel on the ride then you have probably already replaced the energy before you sit down for your meal.
  • I suspect it is portion size. There is a tendency after a long ride to say I can eat everything and up the portion size or just relax a bit.

I use the weight watchers app with my wife and an hour of strenuous cycling is about one chicken breast of food, cooked with the skin off and no sauce. One hour of gentle cycling is worth almost nothing. If you have used some rehydration fluid and eaten a gel on the ride then you have probably already replaced the energy before you sit down for your meal.

That might be the case for the weight watchers app, but perfectly feasible for a good rider to burn ~1000kcal an hour at high intensities.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • P_Tucker
    I suspect it is portion size. There is a tendency after a long ride to say I can eat everything and up the portion size or just relax a bit.

That might be the case for the weight watchers app, but perfectly feasible for a good rider to burn ~1000kcal an hour at high intensities.

I according to data from my powertap and some basic sums, I burned 5000 calories on my ride this morning. I doubt I could physically eat enough to replace that (plus my normal requirements) in one day - although I've had a decent go.
  • P_Tucker wrote:

I according to data from my powertap and some basic sums, I burned 5000 calories on my ride this morning. I doubt I could physically eat enough to replace that (plus my normal requirements) in one day - although I've had a decent go.

Well power isn't the best indicator for calories burnt unless you know you all the data to input and use it in conjunction with heart rate. Heart rate is usually better (if you know your VO2 max) as it has a pretty linear correlation with oxygen consumption. Last time i was tested I my VO2 max was around 5 litres/min iirc. Every litre of oxygen used burns 5kcal, so if I operated at say 4 litres/minute for an hour i'd be burning 1200kcal. If you have a HR monitor where you can enter all this data they tend to be pretty accurate.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • P_Tucker
    Heart Rate more accurate than power? Are you mental?
  • kayakerchris
    kayakerchris Posts: 361

That is true if you are wiggins going up the colombiere. The reality for most of us very much less.
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    Heart Rate more accurate than power? Are you mental?

Linear relationship between HR and VO2. With all the data inputted into a HR monitor these days they produce relatively accurate results. Short of having a gas analyzer strapped to your bike it's the next best thing. I didn't say it was better for training however.

PTP Runner Up 2015