Upgrade or not

Blue Parker
Blue Parker Posts: 37
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Hi all, I am off to the Alps (Chatel) in July I have a stock (suspension wise) Trance x5 (5inches at the back and 120mm at the front).
Question is should I get a 140 / 150 mm fork - would it make a blind bit of difference? Current suspension is all working fine.
I have already upgraded the breaks (new shiny Shimano SLX's, + discs).
Trance x5
Trek 4500 (toddler chariot)

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    No, your bike is fine. Some people even ride rigid bikes in the Alps!

But if you are trying to hammer the downhill tracks it wont make any difference what forks you have, you'll get absolutely battered regardless!
  • lol, ta very much
    Trance x5
    Trek 4500 (toddler chariot)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Maybe rent a DH bike for the day though for a bit of fun and a change! perfect place to do it and have a giraffe!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    With a Trance x5 I'd be more concerned with the rims and brakes than the suspension. But depending on how crazy you go you should be fine.

I have ridden loads int he alps on a hardtail - crossride wheels, Hope M4 front and a magura julie rear brake and old bomber 100mm forks. I have also ridden on an old patriot - woudlnt say I enjoyed one more or less than the other - the Patriot hurt my legs goign up, the hardtail hurt my arms going down! But everythign was fun!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.