Tips for watching Le Tour's final stage in Paris?

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Managed to book a long weekend away in Paris which co-incides with the last few days of Le Tour. Basically, we're Eurostar-ing out on the Thursday night and then back again on the Monday evening so will be there for the last stage.

Now I know there's eight laps of the Champs Ellyses on the day, but was wondering if anybody on here has made the trip out in the past and can recommend a course of action for the day - niche spots to watch it, sneaky places to try and get into etc.? Thanks in advance.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Hmmm... my advice would be don't go to the finish just find a nice bar, ideally on the run into Paris so you can see the race when it goes passed and that's showing it on tv (most of them) and has good cheap local wine a food (out of Paris near the start is where I would head). You will see more of the race and have a much nicer time. If you must go to finish then get there early,take camping chairs and supplies, be prepared to denfend your space wih vigour as come race time everyone will try and push in. Do not expect to get near the sprint finish it's mainly grandstand. Toilets are at a premium on most of the finish, simply put there are not any exept in bars and cafes and they are strictly customer only. The place de la Concorde (I think) has public toilets as well as a fun fare so it might be the best place to head for. But seriously I've spent weeks in France following the race around the only place I will never go back to is the final stage in Paris it's a nightmare (other people may have different opinions of course).
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    We were there on the Place de la Concorde last year. We got there 5 hours before the arrival time and managed to get positioned right at the front but once there you absolutely cannot move or you'll lose your space. We took some lunch supplies and drinks but didn't drink very much for fear of needing the toilet!

The wait itself is pretty tedious as where we stood wasn't covered by the Tour caravan (slightly crazy parade with advertising floats) and there are no screens showing the stage etc so it is just a 5 hour wait without distractions.... Once the race arrived it was pretty cool seeing the peleton sweep past and we got some good pictures

Pro-banner.jpg

but the problem as I mentioned earlier is that there aren't any screens or even a tannoy with commentary so you have no idea what is going on unless you have a radio (take one). The end of the stage was therefore an anticlimax as nobody had any idea who won and we only found out that Cav had won once we got back to our hotel, but all in all it was good fun.

The Champs Elysees is probably the best place to go as there are screens and you get to see the real action, but most of it is taken up with paid for seating and VIP areas. There are some free spots but you'd need to get there very early to nab one (we tried and failed).

Edit: Changed picture
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I managed to get a spot on Rue de Rivoli, where the ferris wheel is, and was stood just after the exit on the corner from the tunnel.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Get the Metro to Concorde or Tuileries. Walk through Jardins Tuileres to the northernmost corner. Here, you are way above street height so you can watch the peloton pass on the Rue de Rivoli, round the Place de la Concorde and up the Champs Elysees. From this vantage point you can also see the riders crossing the river and riding along the left bank. There are toilets and cafes in the gardens, and lots of African blokes selling cold drinks etc, so you should be comfortable. Take a hat and the sun can be fierce and there is little shade in this part of the gardens.

Oh and if you try to climb the railings the police will tell you to get down :D :roll:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Have been a couple of times, but not for a few years - last one was 1997 I think. Now things may have changed since then, but my recollection is that it was relatively easy to get a spot on the Champs - its a ruddy long road after all. You might not be right at the front, but if you're tall enough (I'm 6'2") you should still get a decent view. Think London Marathon on Tower Bridge - there are usually spots if you look hard enough. You should get to see the peloton a few times as they do several laps of the finishing circuits, so in that respect it is one of the best road stages to see. Also, they all do a lap of honour after the finish, usually riding as teams, so that is a great opportunity to pick your favourites out of the crowd. Always worth locating the finish village as security can be surprisingly lax so you might be able to get up close with a few of the riders there. In terms of timing, I'd aim to be there as early as you can stand waiting, but not sure 5 hours is necessary. The Tour caravan is good fun and great for gifts if you have / know kids. Not sure it goes on the finishing circuit anymore based on the comment above. Oh yeah, for toilets / cheap beer, I seem to recall we found a spot in front of McDonalds (they sell beer in France!)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    not done Paris but did the Alps last year and going again this year; can't wait

Le_tour_040.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    BigMat wrote:
    Oh yeah, for toilets / cheap beer, I seem to recall we found a spot in front of McDonalds (they sell beer in France!)

IIRC there are at least two McDs on the finish lap. One on Rue du Rivoli and another on Champs halfway between the finish and turn. I didn't see beer for sale when I was there but did notice CD players providing music whilst you ate the gourmet food.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Mickey Dee's definitely serve up the beer en francais
    FCN = 4
  • Get yourself a 4 rung step ladder - then chuck it away after the race and consider it money well spent - you'll thank me when you come back....
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    redvee wrote:
    I managed to get a spot on Rue de Rivoli, where the ferris wheel is, and was stood just after the exit on the corner from the tunnel.

I was there also last year, a little further down Rivoli. Not a bad place as they are just picking up speed out of the corner. Being tall's a good idea, as is taking a ladder. Alternatively, get there really early with a good book and a small camping stool so you get a place at the barriers. It was very sunny last year and quite hot, so take water and a hat.

Managed to get some blurry photos:

5979567620_d44d8b45a6.jpg
    Cav

5979015773_4921fd06fd.jpg
    Cadel

5979576748_e8e9984917.jpg
    Bertie

5979580876_cb63b883a1.jpg
    Some guy in training

More here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/31218589@N07/sets/72157627288883274/

My other tip is to watch them go round a couple of times rather than taking photos every time as you don't really get to see much if you're trying to shoot.

Enjoy the chaos!

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    pottssteve wrote:
    redvee wrote:

5979576748_e8e9984917.jpg
    Bertie

That's almost professional quality :)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'