Suspension forks for a 1997 M-Trax

KET01
KET01 Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Last week, some mates and I took on the lincolnshire Wolds in another brilliant 40 mile Bicycle Mania event.
The terrain was ROUGH to say the least and I was one of the few riders out of approximately 700 who completed the course on a fully ridged bike; a 1997 Raleigh M-Trax.

It was an exciting ride but me and the bike suffered big time from the rock hard corrugations on the trail and the general severe nature of the bike's ride.

I've decided that I need some suspension forks, but I don't know what's appropriate for my bike or what make / model would be best.

As far as I can remember (I've owned the bike from new) the frame is 'corrected' to enable 100mm travel suspension forks to be fitted.
I'm still running 'V' brakes and I don't want to go to the additional expense of changing to disc brakes.

as for budget, I'm looking at spending about £250 and some of you may think I'm mad spending that much on such an old bike, but I LOVE my old M-Trax!. :D

So, can you guys help me out and suggest some fork options for me?
Cheers
K

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If your steerer is 1 1/8th then any suitable fork with V brake mounts will do. Or if you are replacing th wheels you could look at disc brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Just had to post :D I still ride my 1996 M-Trax 1000 (it will go to the mrs when my new ride is finished). Have a look on On One's site they had some RockShox with v brake bosses OR have a look on Amazon they had some SunTour (not the best i know but). I have some RST Gila T6's on mine but i removed one of the springs so the damn things actually worked.

Good luck keeping the old girl going LMAO! i will be sad to see mine go after all these years (not far admitidly :lol:) but the lack of being able to fit a back disk was really starting to grate.

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look on www.retrobike.co.uk for some contemporary forks. Often some nice old Pace or RS Judys or similar in the classifieds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools