Truck Carrying options

Tillman40
Tillman40 Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I just purchased a Toyota Tundra which has a large enough bed to accommodate my Stumpjumper WITHOUT taking the front tires off.

I know I can lay my bike in the bed of the truck but occasionally I want to transport up to 3 bikes.

My question is...is there a rack system that allows multiple bikes to stand up while being transported WITHOUT removing the front tire?

Any input would be appreciated...

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There are racks that are for pick-up load beds but they need the front wheel taken off. The only other solution that comes to mind is buying something that fits on roofbars an mount them on a frame on the deck of the load bed.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Tillman40
    Thanks for the quick reply! I will research and perhaps backyard engineer that!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I know that Thule make one because I've used it before. I forget which model it is though.

I'm sure others will do too.

Or you could just get a tailgate pad. We've transported loads of bikes that way on uplifts and never had an issue.

Edit, quick google seems to suggest it's the Thule 501 but I can't find any in the UK (check with a thule supplier though and they'll probably be able to get one in). I'm positive this is the one I've used before though, and it was very good.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    You may need to search for it but im sure iv seen a post on here before of some one building a rack out of plastic tubing to fit in the back of a truck and hold 3 bikes. Might be worth a search.

Found it: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodi ... keRack.htm
  • GraemeT
    GraemeT Posts: 155
    I read an article once where a guy had made a frame from plastic plumbing tubing to fit the front wheels into. I've just tried to find it but my link doesn't work anymore. I'm sure it was an american site (big pickups). Come to think of it, it was probably from a thread on here.
    As I remember it was a fairly simple structure and wouldn't be too difficult to create with a trip to B&Q.
    I have fitted a couple of front wheel clamps to the bed of my Navara. The advantage with that is that the bikes can be locked in without using any cables or anything. I bought the clamps from Wiggle for around £15-20 each.

Graeme
    Just Keep Pedalling
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lugsey2k5 wrote:
    You may need to search for it but im sure iv seen a post on here before of some one building a rack out of plastic tubing to fit in the back of a truck and hold 3 bikes. Might be worth a search.

Found it: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodi ... keRack.htm

Yep in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Tillman40
    Thanks to everyone for their research! I will digest all this data. Peace..
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Tailgate pad - Dakine model is about $150 Canadian so probably around 100 quid - probably be special order in UK (you can pick 'em up anywhere in Canada). Used one for the first time the other week - four bikes nestled comfortably in the back of my mates F150, never moved on the drive, can be locked down to the bed if you have appropriate mount points for safe leaving.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • GT_Dave
    GT_Dave Posts: 161
    Just bought a Navara so im commenting so I can keep an eye on this thread! Fantastic idea!!