Cyclist Reactions...

mbhuw
mbhuw Posts: 79
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
I've been victim to poor driving, as all cyclists have (luckily never a collision) and i do usually react in the usual swearing and frustrated fashion. But i can't help but think that all of us cyclists would have better publicty if we could react the same way as this guy does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWjff5Smhg.
Big props to that guy.

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    No way I could be that nice! I got hit by an idiot who didn't give way to me at a roundabout but I couldn't get up as quick as he did because I went flying down the road and stopping via my left knee, left hand and my face!
    If I had an incident like his, anger would be the first reaction and would stay that way for a while. :x
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Fair play to him, that was the epitome of calmness.
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    With the cleavage and legs on show particularly when she stretches round to get her bag was possibly the distraction that he needed to calm his nerves. Certainly took my mind off the accident :oops:
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I always liked my reaction when this happened:

http://youtu.be/4w3ThrvdTec?hd=1

I have no idea where that shout came from..... :lol:

Oh, and if you want to see calm:

http://youtu.be/HRBQq1jQlNU?hd=1 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • My reaction.....Hairdryer..at full power
  • HiMoz
    HiMoz Posts: 62
    Poor driving but if you go round presuming every vehicle is going to give way to you correctly then you're going to get yourself killed. The cyclist could have easily taken action to avoid that collision
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Agree with HiMoz I'm afraid... Once again, motorist in the wrong but a man on a bike is always going to come out worse off than the big metal box. I'm sure he could have avoided the collision but perhaps not.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I nearly got myslef killed this morning so be under no illusions that cyclist = perfect...

Good to see that KB's videos hint that police/people might be changing a bit (back there) though
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    I know of a very similar incident yesterday where a van pulled out causing a cyclist to swerve and brake, ending up on the wrong side of the road (fortunately clear at the time) as the van kept going. As the van only then drove a few hundred yards before stopping at the red light the cyclist rode up alongside the now stationary van and pointed out the incident to the van driver. The driver wound down his window but when it was pointed out that the cyclist had only just avoided hitting him the van driver laughed, said that the cyclist should look where he was going and proceeded to wind the window up again. At this point the cyclist found out the unexpected fact that side windows are quite weak when half way up as it broke into many small pieces from a tap with the flat of the palm.
    At this point the rather surprised cyclist rode 20 yards across the yellow hatched box to the final red stop light. However as the van revved up and drove forward the cyclist took off out of harms way, through the crossing, avoiding the pedestrians. Still followed by the van the cyclist took a few quick turns through back streets until heading off out of harms way unsure what else to do.

I guess the cyclist wasn't as calm as the one in the video.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    HiMoz wrote:
    Poor driving but if you go round presuming every vehicle is going to give way to you correctly then you're going to get yourself killed. The cyclist could have easily taken action to avoid that collision

I always ride defensively and am wary in such situations. However, the cyclist was half way across the island the only way he could have took evasive action was to swerve around the front of the Ka, thus putting himself in possibly more danger.

On this occassion the driver was 100% at fault.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    I'd have thought he could have stopped a bit quicker if he thought he was going to collide, with properly working breaks on a road bike doing 18mph you can stop to a stand still in like 2 meters.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    willhub wrote:
    I'd have thought he could have stopped a bit quicker if he thought he was going to collide, with properly working breaks on a road bike doing 18mph you can stop to a stand still in like 2 meters.

Only if you stop against a brick wall or similar. You would skid further than that if you locked up, or roll further after you went over the top. Two metres is just over a bike length and at 18mph a bike and rider has a reasonable amount of inertia to overcome.
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    I'd like to think of myself being similar to him.
    A while back a bloke in a 4x4 reversed into me, sending me flying off the bike and skidding across the ground.
    What amazed me the most is how he reacted, he got out and started shouting as if it was my fault. He then realized HE nearly squished ME and started apologizing.
    That was pretty much it, I didn't shout although I did swear a few times out of shock.
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..