Nibali to Astana?

cycling5280
cycling5280 Posts: 279
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Brajkovic and Kreuziger will need to make room for Nibali.

According to Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, Nibali has already signed for two years with Astana at $3.5 million annually.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Is Nibali really worth 3.5M Euros? That's the sort of money that Contador (pre-beef), Cavendish and Gilbert get. I know he's won a Vuelta, but is he really in that league?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nah, not worth it imo. Not in that league (yet) although he can show in other races too other than stage races which is a plus. Just Kazak money being thrown around. I wouldn't be surprised if he took that if true. Just they aren't a great team for supporting, other than Tiralongo (although he is Contador's man and Contador has expressed strong interest in signing him). He will get good exposure for a team.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    RichN95 wrote:
    Is Nibali really worth 3.5M Euros? That's the sort of money that Contador (pre-beef), Cavendish and Gilbert get. I know he's won a Vuelta, but is he really in that league?

The latter two are on long term contracts so aren't available and Contador, as a convicted doper, will not be contributing UCI points to whichever team he signs for. That's what makes Nibali worth $3.5 million, as signing him will all but guarantee a team World Tour status.