Pantani in Tdf by Ligget

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited June 2012 in Pro race
45mins narrated by Ligget. Part 2 and 3 on the side.

http://youtu.be/-VS9d-I5Ixg

I've watched the first part and its worth a watch.

Imagine him climbing on carbon...
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Post 99 he did climb on carbon (amongst other things...), they had his 98 bike at a few bianchi dealers before the ToB a few years ago and that was alu with carbon forks and rear triangle. It was also absolutely tiny, not much weight advantage in switching to full carbon on what must have been a 42 frame!

I think I've got that DVD, it was a twin pack with a second DVD on Coppi, Bartali and Gem
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    45mins narrated by Ligget. Part 2 and 3 on the side.

http://youtu.be/-VS9d-I5Ixg

I've watched the first part and its worth a watch.

Imagine him climbing on carbon...

Frenchie,
    Pantani's times on Mortirolo , Alpe D'huez (1994-95) are still the records and by 30 seconds to a minute. Pantani would grind Contador down two climbs out like he did Ullrich and win alone..no need to imagine him climbing on carbon..he's absolutely the fastest climber pro cycling's ever had and will ever have I think
  • frenchfighter
    Lucky people that got to watch him live!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Loved the you-tube video Frenchie - found parts 1 and 2 but not 3... anyone got any links?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Brilliant - many thanks!

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512

The ventoux stage is quite something..that Pantani gets back on and does all those attacks in the final 5km..amazing
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Dave_1 wrote:

The ventoux stage is quite something..that Pantani gets back on and does all those attacks in the final 5km..amazing

That he did it whilst abusing his health like he did was even more remarkable
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Dave_1 wrote:

Yes I like that part, real payback stuff after his Pyrennean humilation a few days earlier. Sort of makes the end of the stage a bit of an anti-climax though.
  • Le Commentateur
    p.s. look at the archive photos - he never had a carbon rear triangle in his frame. Even the black one in 1999 was alu.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Was lucky enough to see Marco on the Alpe d huez a few times and he was flying up the Joux Plane in 97 when he dropped Mr 60% Riis. Dont think we will see his likes again tho i thought Dominico Pozzivivo would be a revelation at the Giro he didnt live up to the hype.
  • Le Commentateur
    Lucky people that got to watch him live!
    I was at the entire final week of the '99 Giro: very easy to get close to the riders conpared with Le Tour, theatrical racing performances and at times the crowds were like nothing I've experienced at another bike race since. At Oropa and Madonna di Campiglio so many people seemed to have those gas-powered klaxons (like you hear in the big football matches) and while watching a mountain top finale on the big screen, every time he attacked the sound was just deafening. Very exciting and something that doesn't get captured by the TV broadcasts. I don't know if that kind of dramatic intensisty happens nowadays. He was a national hero for attacking Indurain during the 1994 Giro and people have never forgotten that (though they "forget" about about the sordid final couple of years easily enough).
  • frenchfighter
    Cool stuff. Those klaxons would surely pump the rider something.

I am always struck watching videos of him, how he descends. Something crazy for a lightweight guy, totally fearless, even in the wet. There is one shot in Part 1 with him nearly sitting on his back wheel!

Marco_Pantani_01.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Cool stuff. Those klaxons would surely pump the rider something.

I am always struck watching videos of him, how he descends. Something crazy for a lightweight guy, totally fearless, even in the wet. There is one shot in Part 1 with him nearly sitting on his back wheel!

Marco_Pantani_01.jpg

I remember phoning in sick to the work to watch that stage when he put 8 mins into Ullrich at Les deux alpes i think...one of the best mountain stages in modern times along with Duffields & Roche's commentary 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cheers FF - great viewing
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Was lucky enough to see Marco on the Alpe d huez a few times and he was flying up the Joux Plane in 97 when he dropped Mr 60% Riis. Dont think we will see his likes again tho i thought Dominico Pozzivivo would be a revelation at the Giro he didnt live up to the hype.

This is a piss take right?

Pantani probably rode at as high a 'crit as anyone in the history of the sport.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Pantani on carbon=Ricco n'est-pa?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Pantani on carbon=Ricco n'est-pa?

A tad faster and not as objectionable.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Le Commentateur

Giro1994Linzdescent2.png

I had read about it but didn't believe the description until I saw the video.
  • frenchfighter
    An hour programme on Pantani however it is in Italian : (

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ7V0l0hG18

And full coverage of one of Pantani's last wins (Giro99 st 20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs1azvgRQtg
    (attack about 1.22 in)

Still love this video though - very exciting, superb demonstration of dominance and accompanied by great music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-J2bIsPDH8
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I watched the TDF vid and some of FF's links above.

Is Pantani the best climber ever?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    I've always loved watching Pantani in full flow. I knew a bit about his "colourful" life but not the full extent until I ended up reading (on the recommendation of one of the threads here) the Rendall book on Pantani.
    I confess that this made me rather sad and disillusioned but even though I now know about his nefarious activities he still excites. I hadn't seen the Oropa video before. Awesome (even knowing what was flowing through his veins).
    Thanks for posting Frenchie.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    I remember phoning in sick to the work to watch that stage when he put 8 mins into Ullrich at Les deux alpes i think...one of the best mountain stages in modern times along with Duffields & Roche's commentary 8)

I remember being ON Les Deux Alpes watching it. Hearing the roar of the crowd coming up the mountain, not knowing how the race had unfolded, and then seeing Pantani fly past and waiting, waiting, waiting for the yellow jersey to crawl past. Unforgettable experience. LOVED IT
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Somebody posted this up a while back.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Di-J2bIsPDH8&v=i-J2bIsPDH8&gl=GB

Like the soundtrack to this.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    OMFG at the way he descends! :shock: