No Tour for Thor

Comments

• peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    Not a career season for him this year.

Can only get better for him in 2013 I think as I don't expect him to podium at the Olympics or to do much in the Worlds. Perhaps a Vuelta start to salvage something out of the year.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Shame he's one of my favourite riders. His stage win in last year's tour was spectacular. If he knows what's gone wrong then maybe by not doing the Tour he can sort himself out in time for the Worlds and Olympics
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He's been listening to my advice.

If he wants gold at the olympics, he should miss the Tour. And let's face it, the olympic route suits him.

It makes sense. BMC've got the big overall favourite in the team, and already someone who's in the hunt for stages (Phil Gil). Don't really need another, and it's not like he hasn't tasted success in the Tour before.

Pretty sure he's won at least something in the last 10 Tours. It'll be a little odd without him mind.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If he wants gold at the olympics, he should miss the Tour. And let's face it, the olympic route suits him.

The problem is he's clearly not even the best bet from a country that only has four decent riders.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

The problem is he's clearly not even the best bet from a country that only has four decent riders.

You think EBH is a better shout? Really?

I seem to be sounding more and more like Iain...
  • RichN95.

Yes. I know EBH can fade in final miles of Roubaix, but this is not that race.
    Now, answer these two questions.
    Who climbs small Box Hill type climbs better? EBH or Thor
    Who is the better sprinter? EBH or Thor

Now describe a race situation where Thor can win and EBH can't.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes. I know EBH can fade in final miles of Roubaix, but this is not that race.
    Now, answer these two questions.
    Who climbs small Box Hill type climbs better? EBH or Thor
    Who is the better sprinter? EBH or Thor

I see your point. EBH seems so unreliable though. You never really have a good idea when he's going to do well.

In fact, thinking about it, and this maybe totally wrong - if it's over 25 degrees I'd put money on Thor finishing higher than EBH....
  • RichN95.
    I see your point. EBH seems so unreliable though. You never really have a good idea when he's going to do well.

In fact, thinking about it, and this maybe totally wrong - if it's over 25 degrees I'd put money on Thor finishing higher than EBH....

Ultimately, I imagine both will ride their own race. They won't work together and Nordhaug (if he's the third man) will serve EBH before Thor.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

You do know that the Olympics is being held in Britain this year right?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    You do know that the Olympics is being held in Britain this year right?

:D
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Shame. One of my favourites.

Probably helps BMC in some ways. Clarifys the team structure.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    RichN95 wrote:

EBH can't handle distance as well as Hushovd - Olympics are 250k, Worlds are 267k - at that distance I'd slightly favour Hushovd over EBH.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    EBH can't handle distance as well as Hushovd - Olympics are 250k, Worlds are 267k - at that distance I'd slightly favour Hushovd over EBH.

He's won plenty of long races. Now in a really hard 250km+ race such as RVV or Roubaix, where the winners come in solo or from a very small group, then maybe Hushovd may have an edge, but the Olympics isn't such a race.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Shame. One of my favourites.

Probably helps BMC in some ways. Clarifys the team structure.

^ This. Maybe he sees it as a bit of a showdown with Cav. Always enjoyed seeing Thor in any race 'cos on form he can beat anyone but can also be a real team player and dig deep for the lads. BMC do seem to have an embarrassment of talent, so perhaps he's stepped back a little for now. One thing's for sure, you would rather have Thor on your team than not.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I'm not sure he has won "plenty" of long races has he - what ? GW was 200k so quite a bit shorter - For someone with his finishing speed I still think his record suggests he doesn't do distance as well as Hushovd.

It's not just Paris Roubaix and Flanders, he's never really up in the results in MSR either, 8th in the worlds last year on a course that should suit him is probably the best I can think of - he just doesn't seem to finish longer races that well.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    EBH generally seems to hit his best form around August, whereas he normally underperforms or gets injured in the Spring. In fact I saw a comment earlier this morning from Team Sky about how he had a "little injury" this spring. Who knows what the weather will be like on 28 July. It could be baking hot or it could be cold wet and windy. With small national teams it will no doubt be less controlled than some of the pro races, with plenty of efforts made to shell the pure sprinters before they leave Surrey. Our of EBH and Thor I think it is very close, but I'd probably put my money on EBH getting the better result.