XCR fork problems AGAIN!

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have had my XCR forks for only 2 months and now i'm starting to have problems with it. :x

The problem is when I am cycling normally around a relaxing single track, the forks suddenly, for no reason, goes twice as stiff. :shock: This happens as well when I am doing some harder riding with air-time.

Is there any obvious cause to this and if so how do I solve it?

Thanks. :mrgreen:
My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the lockout is engaging. Check that the lever is full off and is not rattling about.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    have you got the remote lock out or the lever on the crown?

And where is it when you set it "open"??

Should be with the knob of the lever at 90* to the forks sticking out to the side. If you have it all the way forward, this could cause it as the lock out mech is then nearly engaged. I learnt the hard way when messing about with my forks changing the spring
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • MTB noob
    I always keep them unlocked because my friend locked up his Manitou Axel's and they've stayed 1/2 locked out now.

I might have made a mistake by thinking they were dry forks so when I used the fork a lot, it clogs with dust.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    MTB noob wrote:
    I might have made a mistake by thinking they were dry forks so when I used the fork a lot, it clogs with dust.

All forks should work in the dry!

The sealing on XCRs is pretty rubbish, but that also means that it is very easy to take the lowers off and clean the rubbish out from time to time.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    aye, take your front wheel out. and undo the two allen key bolts at the bottom of the fork legs and slide the legs off. SIMPLES
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • MTB noob
    What is the cheapest way of lubricating my forks so they don't stiffen up because that was the problem - the muck gets stuck in the seals?
  • Hi mate i have a pair of RST Gila T6's on my bike. I figure they are of similar "quality" to your Suntours. I got sick of re greasing them all the time so i took them apart cleaned out the filth (again :roll:). Then i put them back together UNGREASED then poured a big glug of gearbox (bike) oil down each leg :shock: (about 100ml each leg at a guess).

This has helped a lot and they are smooth as silk (well dirty cruddy silk :lol:) but far better than with the grease. and i haven't had to do anything with them since (bar wiping the crud from around the seals).

Thanks.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I use stendec easy glide fork grease on my revs. Not sure if it would work well on suntours though...

Best option is probably to try and keep these going as cheaply as possible until you can afford some toras, recons, rebas etc.(new or used)
  • MTB noob
    My dad said put a layer of 10w40 or similar and they'll work. They do but the forks are dampened quite a lot now - that's good because now they're like dirt jumpers. it cost me 20p for the amount of oil I used.

Problem solved people!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Strip and clean the forks, then use decent grease. Don't fill with oil, they are not designed for it.