Brooks saddles (again, no doubt)

kernel_gadaffi
kernel_gadaffi Posts: 121
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I've just bit the bullet and got myself a B17, I didn't get the leather treatment as I knew I had a pot of stuff in the house that I use on my good boots and the settee! It's a wax called Renapur leather balsam, will this stiff be OK to use on the saddle?

Ha ha, make that stiff, stuff :oops: :roll:
Cube Peloton Pro.
Genesis Core 30.

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Not good to have a stiff on your saddle, you will no doubt attract the attention of the local police and have to answer some awkward questions!
    Even if it is a Brooks
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Dunno Kernel. There are those who swear by careful and regular saddle treatment and those who just ignore the Brooks in a form of "tough love" way. I have had my Brooks for about 4 months now and having applied most of a tin of the official unguent to it, I can say it's now just giving way.

No-one is calling me a quitter on this one...
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    I've had my Brooks Swift since Xmas. I've treated it three times? Not sure about 'give' as it was pretty damn comfortable right out of the box so "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is my thinking on this one.
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    I simply bought the Selle San Marco Rolls with titanium rails and my bottom has never been happier, talk about ride all day luxury.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Mine get an occasional treatment nowadays and seem perfectly happy with the neglect. I do my best to make sure that they stay dry tho. Mudguards & the little rain cover. Its usually when they have been wetted they get a bit of TLC.

Stick with it & you'll think you're riding your comfiest chair
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    My Brooks saddle seemd to be comfortable from the first ride, certainly no worse than the original saddle. I've done about 300 miles on mine so far in the last four weeks or so, and it's great. Mine came with a tin of the Brooks dubbin stuff, and I gave it a good coat of that, then buffed it up after an overnight soak, but that's all. I think I have got to a stage now that I don't really notice the saddle.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I gave the underside of my B17 a good dollop of Proofide with a small paintbrush so I could work it into all the nooks and crannies before fitting in order to weather proof it a bit. The top has had a couple of light coatings, and a lot of polishing with my @rse. Armchair comfy out of the box, so I'm not trying to soften it at all.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    keef66 wrote:
    I gave the underside of my B17 a good dollop of Proofide with a small paintbrush so I could work it into all the nooks and crannies before fitting in order to weather proof it a bit. The top has had a couple of light coatings, and a lot of polishing with my @rse. Armchair comfy out of the box, so I'm not trying to soften it at all.
    Exactly the same here. And comfortable ou of the box.