Decent alternative to Conti GP4's

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
As one of mine seemed to split on a ride today - only had them 3 months so I think I'll be in touch with Continental.

Anyways, money's tight so what's a decent compromise in the meanwhile?

Ta

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    edited June 2012
    So did it split or just seem to split, if it only seemed to, no worries.
    Hard wearing tyre on a budget I have used Vittoria Rubino Pro as winter tyres without any issues. However many will be along with there preference soon, so just be steered by your budget.
    Dont think you will get much joy back from Continental unless it is an obvious manufacturing fault.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    BruceG wrote:
    Hard wearing tyre on a budget I have used Vittoria Rubino Pro as winter tyres without any issues. However many will be along with there preference soon, so just be steered by your budget.
    Dont think you will get much joy back form Continental unless it is an obvious manufacturing fault.

As I look at the tyre, there is a small split in the sidewall. It's obviously been clipped by some road debris so I don't know if it's worth pursuing.

Thanks for replying though.
  • pholt89
    pholt89 Posts: 56
    I think your unlikely to get any where pursuing it I had a Conti gatorskin split on the sidewall after less than 100 miles and they told me that it had to have been road damage without even letting me send them a picture of the tyre.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm trying Miche Pro4 Endurance at the mo, can't really help as they only have 250 miles in them but so far so good.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dg74 wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    Dont think you will get much joy back form Continental unless it is an obvious manufacturing fault.

As I look at the tyre, there is a small split in the sidewall. It's obviously been clipped by some road debris so I don't know if it's worth pursuing.

Thanks for replying though.

Superglue it back together. Seriously.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    There is no magic tyre that has low rolling resistance, doesn't puncture and lasts for 10,000 miles. I always find it amusing that it's a consistent forum question (not having a pop at you OP).

I swear by GP4000s, others have nothing but trouble and rave about MIchelins/Schwalbe/Vittoria etc. You could buy a pair of Evo Corsa's not puncture for a year and say that they're the best tyre ever but the truth is you were just lucky!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Have a look on bike-discount.de ...Conti tyres for very cheap there...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver