Tyres, that good old chestnut!

chrisjroe
chrisjroe Posts: 40
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
ok i have a giant mtb....id love to be able to have a tyre that can do both light woodland riding and also on the roads!

any suggestions, I currently have medusa's on the bike but they have been on there for some time!

Comments

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Racing Ralphs, good off road, and when you give em a bit more pressure are awesome on the roads! I got a set for my WIP bike, and then got another set for the shed im riding while I finish "Ralph". Theyre the mutts doo dahs

MUCH cheapyness
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fairly cheap but wire bead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    edited June 2012
    cooldad wrote:
    Fairly cheap but wire bead.

+1, look for folding, kevlar bead tyres as they are much lighter but perform the same.

Tyres are very location specific-where do you ride?

I didnt get on with the nobby nics I had around here(cannock chase) but they were fairly decent at llandegla.

For hardpack or soily trails something like a nic or ralph will probably be fine but in areas with lots of rock/slippery pebbles you need something with softer rubber. Im a big fan of maxxis advantages and ardents for this.
  • If you want something cheap and light then personally i think the Maxxis Crossmark at One One is a better deal!
    £30 for two sub 550g folding tyres Here
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    If you want something cheap and light then personally i think the Maxxis Crossmark at One One is a better deal!
    £30 for two sub 550g folding tyres Here

Good deal. Be aware that those are the harder, 70a rubber ones though