Wind Help

PimpMyBike
PimpMyBike Posts: 50
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello . I just bought myself a new bicycle . I'm a beginner as you can tell and I find riding in moderately strong wind really tiring . Do you have any tips to overcome the wind ?

Comments

• P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Ride more slowly
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,151
    if you get into a lower position you will reduce your frontal area

use a lower gear, keep higher cadence, grit teeth
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Get as aerodynamic as you can to reduce the winds effect and find a gear you can spin the pedals at a good cadence without tiring your legs, almost as you were going up a hill.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    PimpMyBike wrote:
    Hello . I just bought myself a new bicycle . I'm a beginner as you can tell and I find riding in moderately strong wind really tiring . Do you have any tips to overcome the wind ?

Draft someone!!!!!!!!!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Change direction
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Outside of technique there's a few other things you can do make your ride easier. I always find it best to ride into the wind on the outward section of any ride, knowing that you will get a push on the way home will give you a mental boost. Also on suitable roads (such as quiet lanes) try and use things like hedgerows for shelter. Finally on v windy days try and take a lumpier route as that offers a bit more natural shelter

All the best, Ray Mears
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If the wind is bad i'll plan my route around the wind, there's no point in riding in to the wind for 75% of the ride when you can have it behind you for 75% of the time. Plus, Ascent - tail wind , descent - head wind, impossible to use it all of the time but try and use it as an advantage when you can.
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    Ride more slowly

Seriously, this is the answer! Aerodynamic drag increases in proportion with the air speed squared - if it's really windy try to get as aero as possible but you might have to slow down too. It won't be so hard then. You can always make up the time on the return leg when the wind is behind you.
  • Blancmange
    Blancmange Posts: 103
    MTFU.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I just think of it as extra training for a mediocre ride. For instance a flat course with a strong headwind could be comparable to a hilly course with no headwind. Though my route doesn't really vary too much so i would just get into "the zone" and slog through it concentrating on keeping the cadence high even if it means slowing down.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    I seem to be into wind going out and coming back, must be doing something wrong :)
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    gaviscon usually works for me.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    My farts were stinking last night. I mean, REALLY bad!

To the OP, you'll find it gets easier the more you get out and ride, but strong winds are never easy no matter how fit you are. It's just one of those things about taking part in an outdoor pursuit.
  • PimpMyBike
    PimpMyBike Posts: 50
    gaviscon usually works for me.

Lol xD