Losing control of the rear end over roots

Emphursis
Emphursis Posts: 124
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
As the title says really, whenever I go over roots at much more than walking pace, the back end goes crazy. It could just be because they are at an angle across the path, but if there's a something I'm doing wrong, I'd rather fix it now than later.

Riding a hardtail.

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Try to keep the back end light but this isn't always possible as there may be more roots in front that you need to get the front over. Or just roll with it, let the bike move around under you.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Roots can be slippy so look where the tyre will land. With a hard tail then your angle of attack, speed, load and tyre pressure are all going to add to the outcome.

Also, think of what your bike can do, what you are confident doing and stay within those limits.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Is it more of a problem going uphill or downhill? (or on the flat?)

Simple answer is assume it's slippy and don't pedal (hard), brake or steer on a root. Easier said than done :(

Going uphill, get a bit of speed up and as soon as your front wheel is on grippier ground and back wheel about to hit the root, stand up and put your weight forward so your back wheel just rolls up. Don't pedal until your back wheel has cleared the root.

Going downhill brake before you hit the roots pick out your line and just roll down.

What pressure are you running the rear tyre at? Only ask because if the back bounces you'll lose traction, more of an issue on a hardtail than a FS I imagine.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As long as the front gets over the back will follow sooner or later. More or less. Most of the time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools