Dope smoking drivers

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Perhaps my experience is slightly skewed, what with me commuting through South East London, but hardly a ride goes by these days that I don't get a good whiff of marijuana smoke expelled from a car or van window. I don't really care what people choose to smoke, but I'm not a big fan of them doing it when driving near me. Doesn't really seem like the best time to be looking for that nice, relaxed buzz.

Comments

• HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Same in Bradford, mate. And I agree with you that it's scary.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    No shame in admitting you've tried it (just as long as you didn't inhale like Bill Clinton, oh no he didn't, or did he?) as it makes you more aware of those who have.

Whilst police are now allowed to use drug detecting technology it's still a reactive rather than proactive response. Rules need to change so the police can react to real time events and information provided by the general public.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Spliff-smoking drivers probably always have enjoyed a smoke in the car, you just might not have noticed before. Some of the stuff around now just really stinks.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    I used to be in a metal band few years ago. We had our close friend/roadie/driver, who always used to smoke tons of dope when driving us for gigs. Often they were very long miles, he never stopped for a nap, even when driving 6 hours one way, gigging and then coming back home. But the van was always full of smoke, apparently it was helping him stay focused... But that was rock'n'roll, we didn't care, usually being asleep or drunk :D

Now I'm a responsible father, so I think more about this stuff - and I'm against it when it comes to driving.
  • northstar
    northstar Posts: 407
    information provided by the general public.

Every police force should have this:

http://www.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Same in Bradford, mate. And I agree with you that it's scary.

Manchester too.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I did a rough count on a commute recently, after noticing it more and more. From Clapham Common to Colliers wood, I reckon there were 14 cars passed me with the smell of blow coming from them. NOT a scientific survey by any means, and the funny thing is they ALL had their windows wide open with loud music blaring out!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • chbenson
    chbenson Posts: 14
    Along a23 then the a214 through streatham and surrounding areas I get a good whiff of it a couple of times a journey. It's a rare journey that i dont smell any. Clearly i try to stay as far away from the high drivers as i can as i doubt they would notice me coming up on their left or right. It is quite frustrating when im short on breath from an intense cycle only to get a stong whiff of weed.