New headset for my nerve am

jacksprogis
jacksprogis Posts: 75
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I need a new headset as this one is dead already :/ The bottom bearing is gritty and i have blasted it with brake cleaner like i do to my rc bearings but to no avail . Then i repacked it with grease and more dirt came out . All re assembled and it still creaks bad (Any ideas on that ?) and feels gritty to steer , do you think i will be ok going llandegla black runs on wednesday with it ? Is there replacement bearings available ? I still get a big creak under hard breaking and hoping :/
I swear by king on my ns but i dont know what size i would need ? I have sold some things to raise funds for a king :lol:
Cheers everyone !
Santa Cruz Nomad CC
Santa Cruz 5010 CC
YT Tues CF Comp
Race for Burgtec

Comments

• Would the inset be correct ? Cheers .
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are best contacting Canyon for the exact type as there are so many these days.
  • Ok , cheers :)
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Acros has Technical Drawings of their headsets online. Why don't you download the PDF of your headset (careful, some OEM headsets are not listed) and send it to Chris King and ask if they have a model to replace yours........ before you sell your car as well. On the other hand Acros make great headsets with top quality bearings and you can get pretty much any replacement part necessary. Check the UK Distributor website, balfa dot co dot uk. From what I see they have a B2C shop.

Matthew
    canadian. mechanic. GS1 and ProTour '04 & '05. church of bikes since 1978.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I need a new headset as this one is dead already :/ The bottom bearing is gritty and i have blasted it with brake cleaner like i do to my rc bearings but to no avail . Then i repacked it with grease and more dirt came out . All re assembled and it still creaks bad (Any ideas on that ?) and feels gritty to steer , do you think i will be ok going llandegla black runs on wednesday with it ? Is there replacement bearings available ? I still get a big creak under hard breaking and hoping :/
    I swear by king on my ns but i dont know what size i would need ? I have sold some things to raise funds for a king :lol:
    Cheers everyone !
    Read the info on the headset standards web page and ID. Your headset.

Or post up images o wht you have.

CK over priced. But have go better now they have dumped the stupid O ring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • This is it - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8220322/

Cheers for all the help so far :D
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Photos of the dismantled headset would be more useful but I think this is your headset http://www.acros.de/datasheets/32.00.500.pdf

And I think this may be the correct replacement lower bearing but I'm far from certain http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=439
  • Bugger , its 1 1/8 top cup and 1 1/4 bottom cup :/ Recommend me a headset please !
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • I recommend replacement bearings from ACROS for your headset.
    How old is it headset anyhow? They take tons of abuse from lots of directions headsets do. A wee tiny bit too much play and they are cooked before you can say cook. In my opinion the loads industrial bearings encounter in a full suspension bicycle in the swing arm assembly and headset are too demanding. Gotta be a better solution for these areas.
  • The bikes a month old . Yep , Im after a new headset but i may just pick up another bearing then :/ Recon thats creaking ? Its not stem bolts or the brake .
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • If your bike is a 2012er the AiX-03 Headset is 1 - 1/8" to 1 - 1/2" and the head tube is milled accordingly. With Pressfit cups you would have a good variety to choose from but with the Tapered standard that you have I would just stick to the original. And remember, Industrial bearings are allergic to too much or too little preload so beware.
  • Neal_
    Stop faffing about and contact Canyon.
  • Canyon say its 1 1/8 top cup and 1 1/4 bottom cup . I had an email off them saying that .
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Neal_
    Fair enough, did they not offer to replace it at their cost considering it's only 1 month old? If not then you can either just replace the lower bearing using the Superstar's item I linked above or find a complete headset, you need ZS44/28.6 | IS52/40. See this pdf to explain http://www.canecreek.com/docs/Standardi ... System.pdf
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Canyon say its 1 1/8 top cup and 1 1/4 bottom cup . I had an email off them saying that .
    How generic.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • More bollocks from them , They were nasty on the phone , james is sound but the other guy :evil:
    Hi Jack,

Firstly, my apologies, the headset is 11/8 to 11/2, not 11/4 as I said yesterday.

We can supply you with a replacement headset, it will cost 49.95 euro plus shipping, the part number is A1014219.

Because we're not aware of other manufacturers product ranges we're not able to say you need a Chris King whatever, but armed with the information you now have, you should be able to find one that fits.

Sincerely,

James - Canyon UK/quote]

So its 1 1/2 :/
    No headsets fit on crc and king dont make one . Im really stuffed here . Gonna have to just get this bearing .
    Im bloody sick of being messed around by canyon and the lbs , They told me to bring it down to check and then they say , i will book it in in 3 weeks .
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Get in touch per email with ACROS here in Germany and explain your situation. I'm sure they will help. Today is a bank holiday here so you may wait till next week for a reply.
  • Neal_
    The upper headset is a zero stack (integral/Semi-Integrated) 44mm headtube internal diameter and 28.6mm steerer diameter. The lower headset is integrated 52mm headtube internal diameter and 40mm steerer diameter so there isn't a cup and the bearing sits directly in the headtube so the only other part is the crown race. You already have a crown race so you only need a 40x52x7 45x45 degree Angular Contact Bearing (e.g. £7.99 from Superstars) to service the lower and for the upper you could get a Hope Pick n Mix top cup 1.1/8" - Integral 43.95mm (e.g £27.99 from CRC) or another zero stack headset and just use the top cup (£26.99 from Superstars)

I'm sure there are other options and you may find a complete ZS44/28.6 | IS52/40 headset although I can't find one but you do have a solution to replace everything.
  • Neal_ wrote:
    The upper headset is a zero stack (integral/Semi-Integrated) 44mm headtube internal diameter and 28.6mm steerer diameter. The lower headset is integrated 52mm headtube internal diameter and 40mm steerer diameter so there isn't a cup and the bearing sits directly in the headtube so the only other part is the crown race. You already have a crown race so you only need a 40x52x7 45x45 degree Angular Contact Bearing (e.g. £7.99 from Superstars) to service the lower and for the upper you could get a Hope Pick n Mix top cup 1.1/8" - Integral 43.95mm (e.g £27.99 from CRC) or another zero stack headset and just use the top cup (£26.99 from Superstars)

I'm sure there are other options and you may find a complete ZS44/28.6 | IS52/40 headset although I can't find one but you do have a solution to replace everything.
    Cheers everyone ! Are you 100% sure that bearing will fit ? I will probably pick up the hope top cup :D Cheers !
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Neal_
    According to the below datasheet for the AiX-03 headset the bearing should fit but without seeing the original bearing from your bike I can't be 100% sure but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't correct.

http://www.acros.de/datasheets/32.00.500.pdf
  • Ordered and despatched :D
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    YT Tues CF Comp
    Race for Burgtec
  • Having read several posts about issues arising over the replacement of Canyon Nerve headset I was quite worried as I had purchased a 2013 Nerve AL 8.0 in October 2012 that came equipped with the Acros aix-03 headset.

After just 3 months of winter use the bottom bearing started to feel a bit grainy.
    The size of the bearing needed for the replacement is 40x52x7mm with 45 degree angles. This bearing can be purchased from superstar components for £7.99 and is the type 2. I purchased one and it fits directly into the bottom of the head tube. It is an easy part to swap just be careful not to damage the head tube when you are knocking the old bearings out and make sure you put the bearing in the right way up. I have had this bearing in now for 9 months and it is still as smooth as the day that it went in.
    As for the top headset I have two solutions. I have tried and tested both and confirm that they both work.
    Solution one is the replacement of just the bearing. The bearing that is required is size 31x40x6.5 with 45 degree angles. I have found two places that sell this size bearing the first is on Ebay from Aire bearings I purchased model number MH-P03 30.15x41x6.5, ebay number 131004690933 for £4.74. As you can see the outer diameter of 41mm is exactly the same and the inner diameter is .15 smaller but I can confirm that this fits around the 1 1/8 steerer perfectly. I have had this bearing in only for a week so can’t comment on the life of it but the quality feels good.

The second place is from Simply bearings product name Enduro ACB3645SS Headset Angular Contact Bearing 30x41x6.5mm Inner/Outer Chamfer, priced at £16.92 excluding Vat. I have not purchased one of these but have read on other posts that they fit. The only reason I did not try this was due to the price getting near to the cost of a new hope headset.
    To replace this bearing you have to remove the old bearing from the Acros plastic bearing cone being careful not to damage the cone. I found the bearing quite stiff to get out and ended up knocking the cone out as it was easier to remove the old bearing once out and clean the old cone. I then re inserted the bearing cone and tapped the new bearing into place.

Solution two is replacing the whole top headset. I did this by using the Hope pick and mix type 2 which is 1 1/8" Integral - ZS44/28.6 this was £28.80 from Wiggle.

To fit this headset just remove the old Acros plastic bearing cone containing the old bearing the same as when I changed just the bearing and clean the head tube.

I lightly greased the new Hope headset cone and lightly tapped it into place using a rubber mallet.
    Then put the hope bearing into the cone and re assemble.
    I only used one of the three shims provided as two left a very small gap

The new hope headset fits perfectly and is super smooth. The whole job from start to finish took around 20 mins and come be done easily at home. The tools that I used was a 5mm allen key, flat head screwdriver , rubber mallet, wife's best tea towel and grease.
    The only reason I ended up replacing the whole headset was that I ordered both the spare bearing and the headset at the same time and tried both to see which worked.
    I hope this has cleared up some confusion and helps fellow Nerve owners. Please do not have a go at any technical terms that I may have got wrong, I am not a bike mechanic, I just enjoy maintaining my bike.