Bike rack for Vw golf mk5?

rich222
rich222 Posts: 56
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone,

Looking for advice on a bike rack for my golf. I don't want to mess about with a light board and connectors and for it not to obscure the number plate. I also don't have a tow ball. I looked into the roof rack option but it will be quite pricey. I have just found a high level one, eBay item number 250910892392, has anyone used this or can recommend one please?

Rich

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    This looks like a copy of the Halfords own high level that i have, it works great never had any trouble been to Germany and back with no probs.
  • rich222
    Do you have to take the wheels off so it doesn't obscure the lights?
  • I have a Mk6 Golf and from what i understand the Mk 5 probably has the same Volkswagen restrictions - you should NOT use any bike carrier that employs straps over the plastic rear spoiler, as the plastic spoiler is not designed to bear any load from tension straps or other items placed across it.

If you look at the various guides/product boxes you'll see that lots of these types of products do not list certain vehicles in the suitability tables. Halfords actually state for the Mk5/6 Golf thats its the soft bumper cover that is the restriction, contrary to VW guidance.

Having said all of that you see plenty of such racks/carriers on Golfs and Ford Focus variants, to name just a few.

I have a rear mounted rack that does without the top straps and that is listed for the Golf Mk 5 and Mk 6
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Saris bones ehre on a MKV Golf, and no problems. I mount it higher than Saris' instructions suggest, so I don't need a lightboard either.
  • rich222
    mountaingoatimnot - what bike rack do you use for your golf please? I have the GT spec which doesnt have the extra spoiler but the one that is part of the boot (if that makes sense) but i had heard of others with the add on spoiler reporting problems, obviously because its not a structural part. Also you say about the soft bumper cover, presumably the plastic bumper deforming from the carrier resting on it?

YeehaaMcgee - The Saris Bones one does look good, and the idea of mounting it higher to avoid the lightboard sounds good too. Just need to find a good deal on one. It looks more substantial too.
  • I got one from Aldi last year - it was listed as suitable for the Mk 5/6 Golfs. To be honest i've only used it once, as most of the time its just me and the boy so both bikes go in the car (quicker to whip the wheels off than mess about fitting the rack).

I've only used it for short journey too, nothing more than 30 miles. I'm not a fan of these type of racks so not the best person to judge how it compares to other racks such as Halfords or those on eBay. Now ive changed to a Spesh Pitch FS I'm even more wary of loading two bikes on the tailgate of a car - plenty of people do so i'm sure my comment is me being ultra wary and nothing to do with the ability of the rack.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    rich222 wrote:
    YeehaaMcgee - The Saris Bones one does look good, and the idea of mounting it higher to avoid the lightboard sounds good too. Just need to find a good deal on one. It looks more substantial too.
    Wha tI like about the Saris is it's flexibility, so you can attatch it in all sorts of ways. I tend to strap it to the hatch's top, sides and bottom, rather than the bumper - which seems a little flimsy on the Golf compared to my old 306.
    And, when it's attatched that way, you can still open the boot with the rack in place (but without bikes!) which is handy, because I always forget to stick something in there.
  • rich222
    just noticed that halfords have reduced this:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165477

when you zoom in on how it attaches to the bottom of the boot lid it appears to hook under it as aposed to sit on top of the lip of the bumper which like in other posts above we know the bumper is weak, however on the list of suitable/ non suitable fits, it says thsi cant be used because of the soft bumper :? looks like the saris is still best bet
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    I use Thule clip on high 9106. Works great without need for any additional boards, lights etc. It is 2 bike option.
  • rich222
    looks very impressive that one! pricey though, was looking for sub £100 ideally
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    I think I saw Thule for £120 ish or for about £50 on Ebay or gumtree. It depends how quickly you want one :) I went for one as they are more expensive but at least you can be sure they actually work. Halfords quality may vary :)
  • rich222
    yer ive heard about the halfrauds :) i will keep an eye out, i like the look of the saris bones 2, looks pretty steady but that Thule i know is good like you say
  • I called at Hopton Woods on Saturday afternoon - a guy in a Mk 5 Golf GT arrived around the same time, with a Saris rack on the back - he had two straps over the rear spoiler which didn't seem to be a problem to him, albeit he was only carrying a single Santa Cruz FS bike. He had it mounted so the bottom padded rail was on the vertical tailgate, not resting on the bumper cover.
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    I've got a Saris Bones 2 for my Mk5 GTI but repalced the side straps with the 'hatch huggers' to protect the glass. When using it for 2 bikes I remove the front wheels and then its completely rock solid at motorway speeds. Not the cheapest but build quality is great. It hasnt damaged my car and my car insurer is ok with me using it. Ive spent hours looking on the net but Ive never found guidance from VW not to use this kind of cycle mount with a Mk5 GTI. To be honest even if I did I would ignore it as Ive been using it for 8 months now and the spoiler shows no sign of damage/movement whatsoever.
    Bottom straps should clip to the bottom of the bootlid, not the bumber for the Mk5 Golf.
  • Stevie-eff
    Stevie-eff Posts: 36
    Iv'e got a Golf Mk5 GT Sport TDI 170 and i use the saris bones 2.

I have had no problems with it or damage to my car. I have however put a thin piece of foam rubber on the inside of the clips to stop any potential damage to my car.

It is solid on my car and no problems with 2 bikes on. Only issue i have found is that the straps to hold the bike in place can cause rub marks on your bike frame if it move when you are driving. Once again, i have put foam rubber round the inside of the straps. A roll of self adhesive foam rubber tape is about a fiver from ebay, a small price to pay to keep your car and bike safe!

They also come with a lifetime warranty, not that i think you will need it.

I got mine from Rutland with free delivery.
  • rich222
    seems like the saris is the better option for the golf, i have the GT too so doesn't have extra spoiler on it. but with it being able to be mounted onto the tailgate and not on the soft bumper its a good option.

found a cheap one here too:
    http://www.probikekit.com/uk/accessorie ... -rack.html