Electronic gear shifting - downloads.

Niffleman
Niffleman Posts: 87
edited June 2012 in Pro race
I was thinking about electronic gear shifting yesterday and the fact that pretty soon I guess everyone in the pro peleton will be using it. Then I started to think about Formula 1 motor racing and the fact that there is a telemetric link between the cars and the pits. Do you think that in the future team managers will be able to download from a rider's cycle computer data about power outputs, gear selection, cadence etc and then use it to improve performance? Can they do this already? Will they be able to do this remotely using a radio link during the stage? The possibilities are certainly there, I guess, if anyone wants to use them.

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    They can already do it. SRM sometimes make a facility available so you can see live telemetry data during a stage race. So you can see power output, speed, etc etc. Many riders post up their details after stages in grand tours.

It's an amusement though, it's not really of any use because you're not going to "tune" a rider while they're racing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • liquor box
    liquor box Posts: 184
    Niffleman wrote:
    I was thinking about electronic gear shifting yesterday and the fact that pretty soon I guess everyone in the pro peloton will be using it. Then I started to think about Formula 1 motor racing and the fact that there is a telemetric link between the cars and the pits. Do you think that in the future team managers will be able to download from a rider's cycle computer data about power outputs, gear selection, cadence etc and then use it to improve performance? Can they do this already? Will they be able to do this remotely using a radio link during the stage? The possibilities are certainly there, I guess, if anyone wants to use them.
    I have often wondered if it will get to the stage where it is essentially an automatic gear box that will select the gear for the rider and they will essentially become an engine.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    iainf72 wrote:

It's an amusement though, it's not really of any use because you're not going to "tune" a rider while they're racing.

Bruyneel to tech bod - "Frank's coasting again, the lazy b*******. Shift him up two gears, he's going to attack whether he likes it or not"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format