Canyon Nerve XC 9.0 Vs Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

joeywinchester
joeywinchester Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, wondered if you could voice your throughts on comparrions between both bikes... I've also been looking at the Vitus Blitz 1.

In the past I've owned two Stumpjumper FSR Comps, so you would have thought this was a pretty easy decision... However the spec Canyon Nerve XC 9.0 is pretty awesome.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers
Jez

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Someone will be along and ask you post links to both, so it may be worthwhile doing it now.
  • snowrider
    snowrider Posts: 31
    Stumpjumper FSRs are now 140mm travel so I would say the comparable Canyon would be an AM not a XC
  • snowrider wrote:
    Stumpjumper FSRs are now 140mm travel so I would say the comparable Canyon would be an AM not a XC

Even with the 'other' higher level of components on the XC?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    snowrider wrote:

It's not so much about the components (i.e. XT vs SLX drivetrain is negligable, not sure of difference in spec thats just an example) it's how they're setup such as geometry and how they use their travel you want to compare, kit then comes after.

Better kit usually just saves weight, I'd compare the AM to the Stumpy in terms of handling.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    snowrider wrote:

be better comparing the stumpy to this http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2565
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I've not ridden a canyon and only had a little pootle on a stumpy but if it was me, purely on looks and perceived quality I would go for the stumpy - my gut reaction is that the heart of the stumpy is better than the canyon even if it is bedecked with more jewels in terms of the components.

More importantly - you can go and try a spesh for fit before buying where as the canyon will be a guess.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I've not ridden a canyon and only had a little pootle on a stumpy but if it was me, purely on looks and perceived quality I would go for the stumpy - my gut reaction is that the heart of the stumpy is better than the canyon even if it is bedecked with more jewels in terms of the components.

More importantly - you can go and try a spesh for fit before buying where as the canyon will be a guess.

Never that sure about test rides, the only time it worked for me was on a demo day where I could try several bikes back to back, even then it wasn't on the kind of terrain I usually ride on.

I don't think done properly the Canyon sizing is a guess, use their online tool, compare the suggested size geometry with your existing bike and take it from there. It's probably more than you do in a shop. Even so it is a bit nerve wracking (see what I did there) buying online but the pros outweigh the cons, IMHO.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860

Canyon has an epic spec for the money, they are great bikes and there are threads here littered by posts from people who got the right size bike first off, so that point doesn't stand up.