front wheel hub cones pitted

600stu
600stu Posts: 15
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I started cleaning out the grease in the front wheel hub (shimano HB-M475) and quickly realised that the cones are very pitted.

I want to replace the hub myself but need to know will any other hub fit or what am i gonna need to look out for? Will any other shimano one fit?

Whats the deal with the shimano model numbers, is it the higher the number the better the spec?

Am i hoping for too much just replacing the hub or will i end up replacing spokes as well?

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    You'll need to delace the wheel, then rebuild it with the new hub and new spokes.
  • 600stu wrote:
    I started cleaning out the grease in the front wheel hub (shimano HB-M475) and quickly realised that the cones are very pitted.

I want to replace the hub myself .........

You could also try new hub specific cones and ball bearings if the races appear not to be damaged
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 647979.pdf
    Ask at a shop what they will cost.

Economically speaking, from a time and money point of view, you could purchase a better quality complete front wheel before you do a rebuild with a new hub.

Compare prices online or ask at a bike shop you trust.

Matthew
    canadian. mechanic. GS1 and ProTour '04 & '05. church of bikes since 1978.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Greer_ wrote:
    You'll need to delace the wheel, then rebuild it with the new hub and new spokes.
    Wrong.

Go buy a service kit.

New ball and new cones. Most LBSs have suitable ones in stock.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    The cones on my Deore rear hub were pitted but the cups were still ok (must be made of stronger stuff), I bought a new axle & balls, cleaned & re-greased and it now runs really smooth.
  • 600stu
    600stu Posts: 15
    I already went to my local bike shop which is quite large and well renowned but they didn't sell the cones.

Went to halfrauds and they had kits with new axle, cones and balls but i didn't know if they would be compatible with the ones in my hub i.e. will the cones be the same thickness... But they were around a tenner and i thought if i can buy the same hub as a replacement from chainreaction then i may as well do that and swap it out myself.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    600stu wrote:
    I already went to my local bike shop which is quite large and well renowned but they didn't sell the cones.
    That's nonsense. If they're Shimano dealers, they WILL sell the cones - and even cups for hubs with replaceable cups.
    Shimano dealers don't sell a limited range - they can sell anything Shimano make. And AFAIK, every single Shimano axle and cone set is available as a spare part - hell most of them are interchangeable.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Disassemble the front axle and take it with you when you visit Halfords,... obviously.

Visually compare the old with the new and then thread the old cones onto the new axle to confirm the correct thread pitch.

Alternatively, just sand or grind down the pits in the cones - which is what I do for inexpensive hubs.

Wrap emery cloth or wet 'n' dry or sandpaper around a rod roughly the size of the bearing diameter (eg the shaft of a screwdriver, the length of a broken spoke or wire coathanger) and sand down the pits to a smooth groove.

It makes the job much easier if you have a powered drill with a chuck wide enough to hold the cone in place.