Wiggins for olympic tt or worlds tt?

dave milne
dave milne Posts: 703
edited June 2012 in Pro race
What do you reckon? He's going so well this year he might just be able to get one over cancellara and tony martin.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Unless he crashes out of the Tour, (which will put him out of the olympic TTs) he'll be too shagged to go for the worlds.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    His coach believes you can peak more times a year than we normally think of. But that said - Olympus should be a safe bet - he should be pinging after the tour.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    dave milne wrote:
    What do you reckon? He's going so well this year he might just be able to get one over cancellara and tony martin.

doubtful. Cancellara, Martin and Durbridge would all have to show up at Worlds and have an off day. Not likely.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Durbridge is best at the shorter courses stemming from his track background. Wiggins will beat him over a full course. As for Martin and Spartacus, how many times have they beaten Wiggins in the last 12 months? I think he will get silver behind Tony with Cancellara in bronze
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Durbridge is best at the shorter courses stemming from his track background. Wiggins will beat him over a full course. As for Martin and Spartacus, how many times have they beaten Wiggins in the last 12 months? I think he will get silver behind Tony with Cancellara in bronze

Agreed. I think Wiggins knows that if Martin and Cancellara are on their best form then they can beat him and seeing as they have the liberty of saving themselves during the final week of the Tour I think it's likely he'll be racing for bronze or silver at the Olympics. That's why he's been talking a lot about the Tour and not a lot about the Olympics. On his day he's the best TTer out of the Tour favourites so he will know that with the parcours this year it's his best shot at glory.

As for Durbridge, good win yesterday, but lets give the kid a couple more years and see where he is.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Thirded - to talk of Durbridge in the same class as Martin or Cancellera in a full length TT is premature. Wiggo has a chance of Gold but it'll need him to bring his A game and Cancellera and Martin to be at less than their best - although both have shown recently they are not unbeatable unlike the Cancellera of a few years ago (except for a motorpaced Contador).

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If the Tour goes well I don't expect to see Wiggins again in 2012 after the Olympics, except at the Tour of Britain perhaps.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    RichN95 wrote:
    If the Tour goes well I don't expect to see Wiggins again in 2012 after the Olympics, except at the Tour of Britain perhaps.

If the summer goes as well as Sky/GB are hoping for I'd imagine they will be using the ToB as a week long homecoming parade for Wiggins, Cav, Thomas etc...

If Wiggins misses his July objectives I'd expect him to be at the Worlds ITT, and isn't there a TTT aswell this year that Sky would be one of the favourites for?
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    ruswilks wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

If the summer goes as well as Sky/GB are hoping for I'd imagine they will be using the ToB as a week long homecoming parade for Wiggins, Cav, Thomas etc...

If Wiggins misses his July objectives I'd expect him to be at the Worlds ITT, and isn't there a TTT aswell this year that Sky would be one of the favourites for?

TTT - Garmin Barracuda
  • ruswilks
    ruswilks Posts: 72
    ruswilks wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

TTT - Garmin Barracuda

They are favourites for sure, but 6 from Wiggins, Thomas, EBH, Porte, Rogers, Cav, Dowsett, Froome, Lofkvist, Pate etc should run them close depending who has form come September.
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Think we need to remember that while he is still incredible at TT, it isn't his focus anymore and I have a feeling it's almost a case of "let's concentrate on mountains, form, fitness - its not like I 'll ever forget how to TT".

As such, yes I do think he has a world class TT in him, but nowhere near as much as if he was prepared to focus his efforts on that one discipline.