looking after an old orange

davehun
davehun Posts: 22
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Replacement / spares for an old orage.
I havean orange C16 with stx rc groupset.
Give this is now quite old and has been well used I have been thinking its about time to replace a few parts.
I know that the shifters are now getting rather sticky (it mis shifts when changing from small to large) and that the drive chain is pretty well worn.
Its had new wheels as I wore the old ones though.
I have been thinking about converting the c16 into a tourer by putting a new drive chain, drops and panniers on. The old drive chain is all stx rc.
Is this sacrilege to the old beast?
If not is it possible to put a more modern drive chain e.g. 10sp sram ?
What do I need to find out before ordering parts?
Any other suggestions ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look on www.retrobike.co.uk
    They will confirm it is sacrilege.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sacrilege indeed.

The problem about swapping to 10 speed is that i think you'll have to end up changing everything on the bike. I have an old Rockhopper A1 (mid 90's) that i thought about doing the same to. You should try and find new old stock on ebay. Anyway i found replacement chainrings on ebay.COM not the .co.uk and had them shipped over (for not very much) from the USA airmail. I think you'll be able to do the same with your shifters. For example here's a shifter pod for $25...a bout 17 quid i think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-STX-RC- ... 3f10dea4f8

You just need to wait for parts to show up or try and find old xt/xtr parts from the same.. and 'pimp' the bike a bit. Old 7 speed stuff is pretty cheap!