How tough a Rim do I need?

Drzoidberg
Drzoidberg Posts: 122
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am on the cusp of getting a new wheel set for my hardrock, with a view to upgrade the frame at later date. I ride up at Llandegla and weigh in a hefty 15 and a half stone.

I know I need a stong set of rims and I like the DTswiss make and have my sights set on a set of DT Swiss EX500, found them at a good price. Will be able to get XT hubs front and back, with DT swiss revolution spokes for about £210 all in which is seems to me a decent price

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Compone ... -5-1d.aspx

the alternative that seems comparable would be the MAvix EN521

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/rims/mo ... N-521-Disc

Its a bit heavier at 540g but again its tough but to heavy? I dunno

But at 500g/540g is that heavy for a set of beefy tough rims? Or should I be looking else where?

Cheers

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    either will be fine. I'm 14st9 and run en521's no bother and know people heavier who run the same
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I hear pelvic exercises are good for rim strength.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My Reign X came with DT Swiss EX500 rims. They are quite heavy for their strength. They dent very easily and needed truing after most rides. My EX721 Mavic wheels are much stronger and even though they are downhill wheels they are the same weight.
    A good set of xc wheels will be strong enough for you, I'm 16 stone and my Superstar XC wheels are holding up very well even with fairly hard riding. Have a look at Superstar's Mavic or Stans wheelsets. I would go for the Mavic XC717 on switch EVO hubs.
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    Stans Flow
  • Drzoidberg
    So anything from Mavic is pretty much tougher than the DTswiss stuff? Little bit surprised I always thought the swiss gear was Gucci kit.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forget the DT Revs - nice tough rim, flexy spokes that are hard to build with and get to high tensions, not good for your application and weight.

Go for standard double butted spokes.
  • Drzoidberg
    Do you have any recommendations for my application and weight that won't cost the earth? (Wheelsets not spokes!)
  • supersonic
    Superstar Switch hubs, Flow rims and Sapim DB spokes, £220. Lightish, very tough, adaptable.
  • Drzoidberg
    supersonic wrote:
    Forget the DT Revs - nice tough rim, flexy spokes that are hard to build with and get to high tensions, not good for your application and weight.

Go for standard double butted spokes.

Off the back of that, what about DT Swiss Competition spokes? Are they flexy?
  • supersonic
    The 2.0/1.8/2.0 (or 14/15g) are standard fair, a good blend of strength, weight and stiffness.