Riding fixed gear in events

pamuzu
pamuzu Posts: 89
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Im riding the Manc to Blackpool and Manc 100 this year. Ridden them before however first time on a fixie. Just couple of questions:

1. What gear would you wear on a fixie in events - not a lycra person and wouldn't suit bike.

2. Do people track stand at lights etc on fixed gears?

Strange questions but of interest to me! (hopefully you!)

Cheers
Phil

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    pamuzu wrote:
    Hi all,

Im riding the Manc to Blackpool and Manc 100 this year. Ridden them before however first time on a fixie. Just couple of questions:

1. What gear would you wear on a fixie in events - not a lycra person and wouldn't suit bike.

2. Do people track stand at lights etc on fixed gears?

Strange questions but of interest to me! (hopefully you!)

Cheers

You have to wear skinny jeans (with the driveside leg rolled up), a bright colour hipster hoody.. and carry a messenger bag when you're riding a fixie.

2568911539_8670851bd3.jpg

:roll:

but seriously.. please explain why wouldn't lycra 'suit' a fixie?
  • pamuzu
    Ha ha thats exactly the outfit ideas I was after! Thanks...

In all seriousness, i'm not keen on wearing the full get up (i.e lycra all in ones!).

Maybe its just me, how much difference will it really make to my time?!
    Phil
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    pamuzu wrote:

In all seriousness, i'm not keen on wearing the full get up (i.e lycra all in ones!).

Lycra does make a difference in terms of aero benefit -> Go and roll down a big hill in lycra, then compare with MTB baggies and you'll see a significant increase in top speed.

The main benefit is comfort though... it seems pretty odd to not wear the most comfortable clothing -> especially when you say you want to do the Manc 100
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    pamuzu wrote:

Lycra does make a difference in terms of aero benefit -> Go and roll down a big hill in lycra, then compare with MTB baggies and you'll see a significant increase in top speed.

Doesn't really matter on a fixie, top speed is limited downhill.

Plenty of people do big rides on fgss bikes but if it's a sportive you'll find 99% of the croud wear jerseys and Lycra bibs.

I would personally ride in jersey, bibs and rapha touring shorts. Have done many a long ride and commute in this combo.
    Surface liquistretch are also great.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What did you wear the other times you rode it ?

You could do it in a clown outfit if that's what takes your fancy.
    But there's a reason that all club cyclists wear Lycra. It's great kit for the job and is comfy.
    Would you get a footballer asking his mates if it's ok to wear his denim dungarees for a match. ?

And you can track stand if you want but you'd save energy by putting a foot down.
  • pamuzu
    Cheers for the feedback to a bizzarre post!

Not sure why I asked those questions. Clearly viewed too many arty fixie videos on Vimeo!

In conclusion going to get a nice Italian or French cycling top and look into the suggested shorts.

In terms of trackstands, I find its actually easier than putting a foot down. Everyone seems to waste a lot of time clipping in etc?

cheers anyway.

Phil
    Phil
  • pamuzu
    Hi,

its approx 42:17. very light really. I tried moving up and found it took the fun out of it. Did 40 miles today in the lakes on some big hills and found it fine. I dont really want to go any more harder.

What would you suggest?

Thanks
    Phil
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pamuzu wrote:
    Hi,

its approx 42:17. very light really. I tried moving up and found it took the fun out of it. Did 40 miles today in the lakes on some big hills and found it fine. I dont really want to go any more harder.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

FWIW I ride 42x16 - mainly through London.

I spin out pretty quickly on my commute through embankment and can't keep up with the geared guys unless it's a fierce headwind but it does mean I can get around Richmond park. That's the trade off.

I like to think being forced to mash round parts of the park yet spinning my face off on the commute is good practice re-pedalling.

Probably a load of bull though.