Ball bearings everywhere

Fifenewbie
Fifenewbie Posts: 44
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks - this is going to seem a little strange as you read this! I keep finding ball bearings all over my kitchen and living room floor. Now, I am aware that certain components on the bike have these, I am going to service my pedals because they are very stiff and there is a creaking coming from that area, will start with the pedals. Does the bb have ball bearings? My bike is a Carrera Vengeance Ultimate - surely the bearings shouldn't be just falling out on their own accord?! Is it going to be just a case of trial and error to see where they could be missing from? As I say, it's very strange (to me anyway) thanks folks. :shock:

Comments

• headsets have bearings, occasionaly they come out the races if not cartridge type, pedalscan also have loose bearings, and so do wheels, depends muchly on the size of them! if there's a Lot of play in the pedals then quite possibly they have fallen out,
    always worth using a magnetic tray under the item your doing as then when the balls fall out you stand a good chance of catching them all!!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anything tha's dropping balls on it's own is probably fubared.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Check the locknuts/ cup and cone on your hubs.
  • android125
    android125 Posts: 36
    That part of your bike thats shedding balls will probably be the part thats really loose or rattling around. Its not common for this to happen on a reasonably well looked after bike. For a cup and cone hub to shed balls it would be just about falling to bits....
    Lets Ride!!
    Merida 96 26er
    Stumpjumper FSR 26er
  • Fifenewbie
    Fifenewbie Posts: 44
    Thanks folks - well that's the thing, the bike rides well, no unusual rattles and I have been round it making sure everything is tight- the only thing is the creaking that's coming from the pedal/ crank area - the pedals are stiff. Think I might take the chance to get new pedals anyway.