New disc old pads?

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just replaced the rear disc (rotor) but not the pads. The braking is still pretty poor. Does the disc itself need to "bed in" aswell as the pads. Or should i just replace the pads aswell?

They are cable operated calipers (tektron?) and before the old disc warped were working really well.
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Yup, the disc surface needs to be keyed in, which means transferring brake pad material onto the disc. 10 hard stops should do the job.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    When you fit new discs you should also fit new pads as well. The old pads will never work as well on the new disc.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I've just replaced the rear disc (rotor) but not the pads. The braking is still pretty poor.
    Did you replace the disc because the brakes were poor? If so, then you've changed the wrong part - it is as good as impossible that a brake disc will cause poor braking - unless they've got oil or something on them, in which case, the brake pads will as well.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've just replaced the rear disc (rotor) but not the pads. The braking is still pretty poor.
    Did you replace the disc because the brakes were poor? If so, then you've changed the wrong part - it is as good as impossible that a brake disc will cause poor braking - unless they've got oil or something on them, in which case, the brake pads will as well.
    Keep up
    and before the old disc warped were working really well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes new discs have a bit of a coating from the manufacturing process. A bit of a wipe can help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    Keep up
    and before the old disc warped were working really well.
    He doesn't really say why he changed the disc. Warped? Does that mean it was bent? Or did it pringle up under heat?
    If it's done it because of heat then something else is amiss. If they bent in a crash, then he may have smacked the calliper.