Achilles tendonitis

Keiron Curtis
Keiron Curtis Posts: 126
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Does anyone out there suffer from this like myself, and if so how do you cope with it?
k.curtis

Comments

• vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    Went to the physio last week with this - turns out its achilles tendonosis. Been given stretches etc to do - can still bie/run/swim without putting too much pressure on it. Best advice - go to a physio.
  • What is the difference between tendonitis and tendonosis?
    I'd better ask a physio, what exercises did the physio tell you to do?
    k.curtis
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    What is the difference between tendonitis and tendonosis?
    I'd better ask a physio, what exercises did the physio tell you to do?

The physio says that tendonosis is a thickening of the achilles lower down near the calcaneum and is/can be age related. I have to do stretches with the knee straight and bent. There also is a weakness in the foot muscles causing too much movement in ankle/foot.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The consultant I saw told me that for largely unknown reasons, the achilles tendon NEVER gets tendonitis - so for this tendon it always tends to be referred to as either tendinopathy or tendinosis (which I recall means chronic tendinopathy).

I get it from time to time - it is always football which makes it worse - playing on soft pitches is most problematic. My physio is convinced that a lack of flexibility in my foot (my toes do not bend up very far) is the likely cause, so works on this.

I keep on top of it with proper warm-up, stretching, and warm-down. I also apply heat to the area a few times a week.

Apparently it usually passes on its own. Physio can help if not and in some cases surgical intervention will sort it.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    don't muck about hoping it will go away on its own, definitely seek professional advice before trying to self diagnose from the internet.

As a cautionary tale to spur you on to the physio, I developed achilles pain in 2007 that came and went but was generally aggravated by playing football and sprinting. I had some treatment and exercises which I followed and the pain reduced but then a few months later had a rupture of the tendon while playing 5 a side. Classic case - started to run, loud pop (heard by everyone nearby) and felt like I'd been kicked in the back of the leg. To cut a long story short - several weeks in a cast, several months rehab - probably about 6 before I could jog tentatively on it and about 12 months before I felt close to back to normal. Even now I have one calf smaller than the other and I gave up football and am cautious when running - footy, squash, badminton and basketball are all higher risk sports for achilles injury, and men in their 30s / 40s the most common victims. Luckily cycling isn't as risky but you can get tight calves and hamstrings which put more pressure on the achilles.

So - get it seen to :)
  • Thanks to each of you, vitesse169, Daz555, and jomoj, for your comments and advice, I've taken all on board and will be taking action to get this condition sorted asap. Cheers
    k.curtis
  • Sevenfold
    Sevenfold Posts: 86
    Also check your bike fit. I had a severe reaction following an 80 mile ride having not ridden for a week (on holiday). Ended up unable to walk without crutches! After 3 weeks off the bike, I went to see Adrian @ Cadence Sports who did my fit March last year. Re-set cleats (new shoes), 2 insoles (Sidi original & Sidas) & now I am back to normal. I have now taken the 2nd insole out & finding no issues.
  • Sevenfold wrote:
    Also check your bike fit. I had a severe reaction following an 80 mile ride having not ridden for a week (on holiday). Ended up unable to walk without crutches! After 3 weeks off the bike, I went to see Adrian @ Cadence Sports who did my fit March last year. Re-set cleats (new shoes), 2 insoles (Sidi original & Sidas) & now I am back to normal. I have now taken the 2nd insole out & finding no issues.
    Something I've always been keen to have done properly, a proper bike fit. As soon as I'm able I will get it done, thanks
    k.curtis
  • DonutDad
    DonutDad Posts: 104
    I had constantly sore achilles tendons for years after a long basketball 'career'. I just got used to it and put up with it.
    I mentioned it to my chiropractor in passing (I was being treated for my back at the time) and after a few treatments (manipulation and stretches) the achilles pain was gone. I couldn't believe I had put with it for so long unnecessarily. It recurs now and then after day long walks and the like, but only lasts a few days and serves as a reminder to do a few exercises, so it's well under control.

whatever my problem was, Chiropractic treatment obviously suited me (and of course the exercise regime afterwards), maybe it's worth exploring...
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I aggravated my Achilles tendon a few years ago.Physio and stretches made no noticable difference.Mine cleared up of its own accord but it took a while (18-24 months).
    I found certain types of activity could cause it to flare up,but happily cycling wasn't one of them.
  • Thanks DonutDad, and blackpoolkev for your comments. I went to the doctor last week. She prescribed anti-inflammitories and stretching. Ibufren means no pain, but I'm sure it doesn't cure, after the course of drugs, I presume the problem(pain) will return. The only physio, I got in the past, was instructions on how to target the area with stretches, maybe manipulation would benefit me. I'll check it out. Cheers.
    k.curtis