Flying with a bike, avoiding extra luggage fees

theboykidney
theboykidney Posts: 95
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
Have flown a number of times with a bike bag, but looking at a bike case for my new baby.
The question is, if I got a generic looking bike suitcase, is it passable as just a large suitcase, thus avoiding some rediculous extra charges for a bike? Or do you get questioned at check in and get rumbled?
Cheers
Tbk.

Comments

• Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 72
    Timely post. I just called Jet 2 earlier to clarify their policy and they stated that you must declare sports equipment. If you don't and are rumbled you forfeit any baggage fees already paid, are levied the full bike charge and run the risk of not getting it on if they really dislike you and tell you they're full up. Helpfully they said, if I did decide to take the p!ss, they would try and get the bike on the next available flight but obviously no guarantees.
  • Good reply Barbes, unfortunately not what I wanted to hear!
    I recently called AerLingus about it all, and first asked about size limitations on hold luggage, she said there there was none. I explained the 'suitcase' was about 120cm by whatever, and again she said that was ok. As soon as I said there was a bike inside, there was a fee to be paid. No arguing with the minion on the other end, no matter how I tried to explain how flawed their logic was.
  • rjgr
    rjgr Posts: 52
    From my research on this, the point your missing is that you generally only have a luggage weight limit of 20-23 Kgs per and per passenger. So if you bike is undeclared and in a big case you are not going to be carrying any other kit (like clothes) with you on your travels!

They either can refuse to carry a case over this limit or charge a fortune for excess baggage/extra cases. As far as I can tell once you pay the 'sports equipment charge' you get both an extra bag and at least 20+Kgs weight allowance, although most airlines don't weigh that bag so it is just a reasonable weight which doesn't upset baggage handlers and the 'health and safety brigade'.
  • Well I'm still going to be well under the 20KG limit so weight is not an issue (carry on for everything else- short trip! [hence my reluctance to pay for a long weekend]), and they have already stated that size isn't an issue if it's in the shape of a large suitcase, so they are just being pedantic about the whole situation.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    If you can pack up a bag to within the regulation maximum luggage size, the usual advice I've heard if asked what is in it is to say 'bike parts', or, at a stretch 'my grannies wheelchair'. At worst, you get found out and have to pay the set fee, but usually its ok. I've travelled with a bike with coupling in a case and never declared it as a bike, and only got charged when I foolishly said 'yes, its a bike' when asked - otherwise I have not been asked.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I can't see why you get so uptight about it. Airlines are commercial organisations trying to make a profit. If you want to carry your bike onboard, read the respective baggage terms and conditions, such as easyjet's here http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage.html and abide by them. For example they charge £25 each way. You reckon that is expensive? It is cheaper than riding it there! You couldn't feed yourself to cover that sort of distance for £25.

If you don't like it don't use their service. People have an unrealistic view of what air travel costs and what constitutes 'expensive'. I travel to Faro every November for a cycling holiday and it costs me about £150 return with my bike and a bag. That is incredibly cheap considering the distance covered. The profit margins in aviation are very slim, for example my company TUI Travel Plc, the largest tour operator in the world, make about 3.5% profit on billions of pounds of turnover.

As for defying the conditions of carriage, that is dishonest. The terms and conditions are put in place to make a profit and to ensure safety. It is the same as fare dodging on public transport. Would you condone that? Like I said before, you have a choice. Don't travel if you don't like the conditions of travel.

PP
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    my company TUI Travel Plc
    An unbiased reply from Pilot Pete. :)
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    bigjim wrote:

Well yes, but pretty much spot on.
  • pilot_pete
    bigjim wrote:

Erm, I think you will find that is an Informed opinion. Where is the bias? I didn't say my firm are better, or worse than anyone else. All I pointed out is that relatively, for the distance covered, aviation is incredibly cheap and that trying to avoid a legitimate charge is dishonest. If you want me to quote costs per passenger km to prove my point and to paste contracts of carriage that you sign up to when you fly then I can, or you could search them out for yourself. If you still think that is a biased opinion then your definition of bias is at odds with mine!

By the way, my Faro trips have been with Monarch and Easyjet thus far, Thomson only fly to Faro during the summer season, which ends in October so I haven't even quoted a cost for this trip from Thomson! Oh, and just to make sure I am completely impartial, I got back from a Pyrenees trip last Saturday having flown with Ryanair both ways...!

PP

Oh and p.s. Thomson is part of TUI Travel Plc for those that didn't know!
  • My gripe is really with the fact that even if you pack your bike in a suitcase, and is under the standard 20kg weight, it should be treated as normal luggage. Why should there be a premium on that? it cost them nothing extra in handling to deal with. Its just like every other piece of luggage going in the hold.
    If a bike is packed in a large box which you sometimes see, then fair enough, its a bit of extra hassle for the luggage handlers, thus chargeable.
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 72
    I agree Boykidney - my main issue is with inconsistencies. I'm flying with Jet2 in a few weeks and a bike packed in a bike box gets 20kg allowance whereas a regular case (same size limits) gets 22kg. They also have a note on their site that says that a bike should be transported in a cardboard box with the pedals removed. When I asked them if it was to do with insurance they said "no that's your responsibility!" How can that be sensible? If the airline had thought through it's policy there would be little or no incentive for customers to try it on.
  • BA will allow your bike bag up to 23kg as your free piece of hold luggage. Put all your clothes in a cabin bag and you're done.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    All I pointed out is that relatively, for the distance covered, aviation is incredibly cheap and that trying to avoid a legitimate charge is dishonest.
    The point is that people don't see it as a legitimate charge.
    If a case isn't too big, isn't too heavy, and contains nothing hazardous or illegal, it's none of the airline's business what's in it.
  • pilot_pete
    Yea, but the point is you can't get a bike to fit in a standard sized suitcase so the fact is that it is bigger. For this reason airlines charge more because it does have different handling associated with it. They charge excess baggage for simPle bags that require additional handling too. If you pay for sporting goods carriage they will be handled more sympathetically and loaded last on top of all the other luggage as opposed to at the bottom of a tonne or two of bags...

I find it strange that you think it is none of their business knowing what they are carrying! It is both their business and duty to know what is loaded on their aircraft. Where is the inconsistency that is mentioned? As far as I can see the carriage of sporting goods is consistent - you buy a ticket, declare your sporting goods, pay the price and they carry it. Just the same as buying a ticket and paying for a hold bag and complying with the terms of carriage that apply for it. Seems completely consistent to me. Like I said, you have a choice.

PP
  • pilot_pete
    Barbes wrote:
    I agree Boykidney - my main issue is with inconsistencies. I'm flying with Jet2 in a few weeks and a bike packed in a bike box gets 20kg allowance whereas a regular case (same size limits) gets 22kg. They also have a note on their site that says that a bike should be transported in a cardboard box with the pedals removed. When I asked them if it was to do with insurance they said "no that's your responsibility!" How can that be sensible? If the airline had thought through it's policy there would be little or no incentive for customers to try it on.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Read the conditions of carriage again. Sporting goods on Jet2 have a size limit of 6'x3' so not the same size limit. As for weight, their standard weight is 20kg which is included in the price, if it weighs more they charge you the excess baggage fee per kg over 20kg up to 32kg max single item. If you pack a bike in a proper bike box you will not be over 20kg. If you simply put it in cardboard like they suggest you will be significantly under.

I can't see what your gripe is. Your packed bike WILL be bigger than a standard item of hold baggage which weighs 22kg and will therefore require additional handling. If someone's hold bag weighs more than the limit they will be charged extra for both the handling and weight (increased fuel burn costs).

PP
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Are you aware that there are bikes that DO fit in a normal sized hard case?
    It's these that I'm objecting to the charges for.

(Not that it's really anything to do with me any more - I've pretty much given up on airlines)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Wow some guys spend so much on bikes then gripe at cost to take them abroad, if your bike is expensive then fess up and pay or hire a crappy bike abroad.
    Cram a bike in hard case and it gets damaged then you will moan again.
    I have taken mine on several airlines, some free some charge a bit, but all were insured for damahe, though some of them would not have covered the entire cost of bike.
    I posted below how I made polytyrene box for bike and put it in soft bike bag to save weight, it worked.
    At least they get special handling as outsize baggage, in normal case they get thrown everhwere and stacked on.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    By the way, my Faro trips have been with Monarch and Easyjet thus far, Thomson only fly to Faro during the summer season, which ends in October so I haven't even quoted a cost for this trip from Thomson! Oh, and just to make sure I am completely impartial, I got back from a Pyrenees trip last Saturday having flown with Ryanair both ways...!
    Can't see why any of that makes you impartial. Just means you have got the best deal for yourself as most of us do or use the only airline that flys that route. My Brother in law has been a BA captain for 30 years and he just dives on the most convenient flight going for personal travel, doesn't insist on BA.
    I wonder why you are on here cheerleading for the Industry. It's not as if they are faultless and they are big enough boys to do their own PR.
  • pilot_pete
    Unbelievable!

Someone replies to a thread who has specific knowledge of the subject in question and gets accused of being biased because of that knowledge! :roll:
    Can't see why any of that makes you impartial
    because I will fly with any carrier and read their terms and conditions ( which do vary) and abide by them or choose some other airline, or other form of transport. I am not pushing my employer over any other.
    I wonder why you are on here cheerleading for the Industry
    :roll: sorry, what planet are you on? Cheer leading? I hardly consider pointing out facts and the 'other side' of things as cheer leading. Some people enjoy open debate and welcome different viewpoints, especially fact based viewpoints. Others start with a rant and aren't willing to listen to the opposing view, even if it is factual. Fair enough, but for some, me pointing out a few facts may help them come to a more informed opinion. The fact is airlines are businesses, making quite slender profits for their huge turnover and associated costs. It is extremely competitive and the huge fall in prices of air travel over the last 20 years reflects this. £25 or so each way to carry a bike in a proper box is hardly daylight robbery. Complying with their conditions of carriage is hardly the most taxing thing you will ever have to do either is it!? So let's drop the conspiracy theories about me having some seruptitious reason for posting!
    Are you aware that there are bikes that DO fit in a normal sized hard case? It's these that I'm objecting to the charges for.
    ok fine. Speak to the airline and get anyone else with a small bike that fits in a normal suitcase to do the same and you may influence their policy. Remember they are an airline and I suspect most of them know very little about cycling. They have a blanket rule for bicycles to keep it simple. If there is enough demand (which I doubt) then they may adjust their policy. It's that simple really. Why would they make things more complex if the demand isn't there? You may not like it, but you have the choice. Sorry if you don't like the reality....

PP
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Not had time to read all posts, so forgive me if this had been suggested, but is a dismantled bike a bike, or just a collection of parts. Maybe taking the bike apart and fitting it in a suitcase is a way around (supposing you have the time/inclination to put it back together again).