Tried my first drop-bar yesterday. Oh mama.

noisepolluter
noisepolluter Posts: 64
edited June 2012 in Commuting general
Having studiously avoided The Devil's Own Handlebars for several decades, curiosity finally got the better of me yesterday and while my better half was trying folders in Evans I had a test ride on a CX bike which particularly caught my eye, which was a Charge Filter Hi. The frame was a size too small but I still really enjoyed the ride comfort and responsiveness. It was a real eye-opener. It was admittedly a little heavy compared to the next one I took out (a ridiculous camouflage-finish Fuji CX with a larger frame just so I could get an idea about sizing), but the Charge just felt like a really classy ride (and looks absolutely fantastic, which also helps).

I've been doing a bit of homework on various CX's and am actually wondering about having a chat with my local bike shop about building £1K worth of Cyclescheme bike around a Surly Cross Check frame. Basically the brief would be comfy, sturdy commuter with classic styling which could double as a longer distance bike for jaunts through country lanes and the occasional bit of light gravel/farm track if necessary. The resulting hypothetical bike I suppose would be leaning more towards tourer than CX.

I don't suppose disc brakes are a deal-breaker as I am still likely to hang onto my flat-bar hybrid in any case, so speccing v-brakes should hopefully also help keep the weight and budget down a little bit.

Has anyone else embarked on a similar build project?
Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I built up a plant X Uncle John with BB5 disks and wheels from a Boardman...wasn't impressed...ok so breaking in the wet was much improved but they squeeled like pigs; I actually didn't break as much as it was embarising :shock:
    weight was also a big factor. I got fed up so got some Avid SD7's and set of Mavic CXP22's on giant hubs (from a Defy)...wow what a difference ! loads lighter, better handling / sprinting, better looking and didn't squeal once :D !
    Would say though it depends on what you want the bike for ? cyclo-cross very strong and sturdy but I found it over-kill....got a Kenesis T and frameset and swapped the bits over (bar the brakes) ...lighter and faster :D ....well got to get back from work faster now !
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I have a racelight as well (T2). I built it up with Planet X model B wheels, Campag centaur group, Brooks swift saddle, FSA bits and bobs (see good weather ink in my sig).

If it's going to be for year round use then I'd recommend disc brakes. The BB7s on my winter bike started to squeal a bit so I realigned the callipers with the rotors and they've been fine ever since.

I would wholeheartedly recommend building your own bike, just don't expect it to be any cheaper. In fact unless you shop very smartly and/or buy certain bits second hand then it will probably be more expensive. But the bike will be to the exact spec that you want, you'll learn how the various bits work and so you'll be better equipped for future fettling and if you're like me you'll enjoy it.
  • The Racelight-based bikes look absolutely fab :D

Single biggest question really is whether I feel I need discs or not - everything else is going to be steered by that decision.

The other question is how I'd get used to the bar end shifters on the Surly, and how well they actually work! Anyone tried them?

If I got a stock Cross Check on cyclescheme but wanted to change shifters and upgrade the calliper brakes (if necessary) that's a good £400 extra - might as well just save up what I'd pay out on cyclescheme and/or gradually get hold of components as good deals come up.

There are obviously other choices that come within the £1K cyclescheme budget and already have discs and brifters (good word!) as stock e.g. Whyte Charing Cross, though I must admit the styling doesn't appeal as much.

Step 1: see if I can try a stock Cross Check
    Step 2: have a word with our local bike fella about a build.

Hmmm. Next cycle scheme is in September so plenty of time to mull it over and try a few bikes. Thanks for letting me think out loud.
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047

I miss drops every time I assume the position on a descent or as my speed gets past 25mph and wind resistance becomes a factor.

I really want to do a Ti (nice compromise between Steel and Al attributes) framed CX, Charge filter maybe but it lack support for discs. Posted a thread in Workshop about it a while back. Money and the lack of hydraulic brakes is a concern. TBH holding out on drops until the anti-disc brake lobby butt out and some decent hydraulics come in.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684

I miss drops every time I assume the position on a descent or as my speed gets past 25mph and wind resistance becomes a factor.

I really want to do a Ti (nice compromise between Steel and Al attributes) framed CX, Charge filter maybe but it lack support for discs. Posted a thread in Workshop about it a while back. Money and the lack of hydraulic brakes is a concern. TBH holding out on drops until the anti-disc brake lobby butt out and some decent hydraulics come in.

The Lynskey Cooper 'cross frame now comes in disc format - not that cheap, naturally, although 1300 notes with fork and headset chucked in ain't bad;

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/6018/products ... adset.aspx

Still on the 'not-cheap' front, I believe Hope are bringing out a converter widget to allow STI/Ergo road levers to work with their MTB hydraulic disc brake range, whilst TRP's Parabox (350 squid to you, sir) does the same job.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047

The Lynskey Cooper 'cross frame now comes in disc format - not that cheap, naturally, although 1300 notes with fork and headset chucked in ain't bad;

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/6018/products ... adset.aspx

Still on the 'not-cheap' front, I believe Hope are bringing out a converter widget to allow STI/Ergo road levers to work with their MTB hydraulic disc brake range, whilst TRP's Parabox (350 squid to you, sir) does the same job.

David

Want but was looking at maybe £800 for a frame.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.