Reasonable wheel weight for AM hardtail?

phz
phz Posts: 478
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I always knew my Azonic Outlaws were s bit lardy (even if pretty much bulletproof), but actually weighed them today - 1.25kg for the front and 1.4kg for the rear!

Guessing I should really be looking for something closer to the 1kg mark or a bit under for each end?

How much (real world - not quoted weights) do your AM wheels weigh?

slainte :?: rob

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I had a wheelset back in Austria built to b very strong, and the total wheelset weighed in at a smidge over 1600 grams for the pair. I guess the more important deciding factor is your budget.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I had a wheelset back in Austria built to b very strong, and the total wheelset weighed in at a smidge over 1600 grams for the pair. I guess the more important deciding factor is your budget.

Without tubes and tyres?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Mine are 1598g (real world) with tape and valves fitted, but no tyres or sealant.

Arch EX rims on Superstar Trizoid DH. Om nom nom.
    The set they replaced (Flow rims on Switch hubs) were around 1850g iirc.
  • jehosophat
    jehosophat Posts: 108
    Wheels have become much lighter in recent years. I have two pairs of mavic 717 disc on Hope XC hubs with DT Comp spokes for my hardtail (which is where my older kit ends up) and they weigh over 1850g. A decade ago these were considered light wheels... If you stick with 32 conventional spokes and rims that are not super light it is hard to get near modern wheel set weights... Wheels seem to be one of a bike's weakest points so be careful not to go too light - I consider myself an XC/trail rider and weigh 70 kg but still stick to 32 hole rims - so far - considering a1500g ish set next... But they will not be going to trail centres or mountain ranges abroad...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My Pro 2s on Flows are about 1850g if memory serves- though I've shifted them onto the downhill bike for now, just to see what happens. Good solid wheels.

Just now I'm using Roval Traversees, which are 1560g. Less strong, noticably a little flexy at times, but still holding up well- I've got 2 sets and one of the rims is now a bit less round than is ideal but then it's been used pretty well and it's still usable (I put the initial flat spot in the rear one riding my Soul down the fort william world cup course, very badly- so can't complain!) . One set in the hardtail (150mm Carbon 456), the other in the Hemlock (160mm full suss) and both doing well.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    nicklouse wrote:

Without tubes and tyres?

Without tyres or tubes, yeah. But rim tape was already included in the weight.
  • phz
    Thanks for the input everyone.

Have gone for Flows on Superstar Switch hubs. Not silly light but more than reasonable strength/weight for the money and will let me bite the tubeless bullet at some point.

slainte :) rob
  • Northwind
    Good shout that- very good value as long as you get a well-built set. Flows are fantastic rims.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • phz
    Northwind wrote:
    as long as you get a well-built set.
    Yeah, that's the key.

Have so far been happy with all the stuff I've had from Superstar - my wife Zoe's wheels were well built and have stayed true but I know not everyone has had that experience from them.

slainte :| rob
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I had some crest on switch from them, no probs at all so far with them
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yep, my wheels from them have been spot on, got the same setup as gazlar and its the dogs. Stans rims are superb, both sets have been hammered pretty hard, even some DH on one set and they have held up magnificently
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    On my 2nd set now. Arch Ex on Trizoid (which I'm running on the Reed now) and Flow on Switch which I was running on the edison before.
    Both flawless in operation, although I would have liked the bearings to last a little longer in the switch hubs (they weren't bad given the price, just werent amazingly good either).
  • Northwind
    Easily fixed too since the Novatecs use standard bearings and are simple to change (tbh Pro 2s don't have brilliant bearing life either and they're the obvious comparison). I figure if you're going to cut a corner, it's good to do it on a consumable part since it'll need replaced sooner or later anyway.
    Uncompromising extremist