Nitrates

Mr_Steve
Mr_Steve Posts: 9
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Ive read previously that beetroot juice increases endurance as its high in nitrates so the theory goes that it increased blood flow to muscles. Now energy gels have jumped on the band wagon, SIS i think.

Anyone thought of taking Isosorbide Mononitrate? You can buy it OTC and its dirt cheap. Was just wondering, thought about giving it a go but down wont to collapse with my BP in my boots. Shouldnt do but wondering if anyone had any experience

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Have you tried pedaling harder?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    edited June 2012
    Probably better posting in Training to avoid dumb posts like the above.
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Its most of the purple fruit/veg , cherrys, grapes ect. recon if i was going to try it i may as well get the rest of the goodness from one of my 5 a day.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    hodge68 wrote:
    Its most of the purple fruit/veg , cherrys, grapes ect. recon if i was going to try it i may as well get the rest of the goodness from one of my 5 a day.

I think the spirit of this post is spot on, as in just eat good food in a balanced diet with a few bad things in moderation. The "5 a day" is just spin (5 was just an arbitrary figure chosen by the IARC, sponsored by the American food association, as there was just some slim evidence that eating fruit/veg was good for you but nothing to say exactly how much).

The other post about pedalling harder is also on the right theme. If you want to increase your endurance then forget about finding a superfood/miracle chemical; the best way to improve endurance is to work at it. Go out, cycle, do a balance of longer distances and some thresholds...get fitter.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The other post about pedalling harder is also on the right theme. If you want to increase your endurance then forget about finding a superfood/miracle chemical; the best way to improve endurance is to work at it. Go out, cycle, do a balance of longer distances and some thresholds...get fitter.

That sounds like hard work, is there just something I can eat to make me quicker/ faster :?:
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Eating can be such hard work at times, can't you wear Isosorbide Mononitrate patches? :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Herbsman
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    If you want to increase your endurance then forget about finding a superfood/miracle chemical; the best way to improve endurance is to work at it. Go out, cycle, do a balance of longer distances and some thresholds...get fitter.
    Probably better posting elsewhere to avoid sensible posts like the above.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

That sounds like hard work, is there just something I can eat to make me quicker/ faster :?:

Have you considered getting really drunk, then changing your speedos to read in kmh instead of mph? Hopefully the following morning you'll have forgotten and you'll be 1.6 times faster.
  • Herbsman
    P_Tucker wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Have you considered getting really drunk, then changing your speedos to read in kmh instead of mph? Hopefully the following morning you'll have forgotten and you'll be 1.6 times faster.
    :lol:
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Mr_Steve wrote:
    Was just wondering, thought about giving it a go but down wont to collapse with my BP in my boots. Shouldnt do but wondering if anyone had any experience

Eh? :?: :?:
  • Just nick your grans's GTN spray ( it's the little orange spray bottle she keeps with her for when she gets heart pain)

A quick squirt of that and you'll be fine. The vasodilation though may cause you a stinking headache.

By the way if you've not grasped what I'm getting at leave the mono well alone.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Just because you can buy it over the counter doesn't mean it's not doping.

Why not just work on your fitness rather than try to improve via chemical means ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Herbsman
    Forget nitrates. I tried day rates a couple of weeks ago and my threshold power is up by 40 Watts!