JJ Cobo's chances?

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Just curious really. No one has him down in the PTP for the overall. Is that because the route doesn't suit him eg time trials? Is he concentrating on TdF late on? Are there any team issues?

I'm surprised given his efforts in Spain last year, that's all.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2012
    I imagine it's because he appears to have returned to the same rancid form he had last time he was at Movistar.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I copy and paste in my thoughts from another thread...

Evans. Will not go 100% all week before TDF.

Nibali. Is very well coached and he as Evans will not go full on all the time but use it as a sharpener.

Cobo. Is an excellent left field bet if he has the form he may give it a go, could podium.

Dan Martin/Schleck. will suffer with long TT.

Wiggins. Could be doing what Evans and Nibali are doing and keeping his powder dry, he has had a lot of hard races already, having said that he is capable of winning this, I worry that he may leave his best form behind before the TDF.

Westra. Outside bet for a podium.

Tony Martin. Maybe out to revenge Wiggins in the TT's but will suffer O/A with last weekends stages.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think Wiggins will find it hard to resist going for the win - it's there for the taking really perhaps with the exception of stage 7.

It might almost have been better for Sky to have someone else as the nominated leader and get Wiggo to work for them and then take the TT if he can - I don't necessarily think winning the Dauphine will stuff his chances for the Tour, in fact I doubt it will, but at this stage of his career, with his current form, the Tour route and the lack of a dominant rival all coming together I wouldn't even take the chance.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Dan Martin

Is not a serious GC contender. In future years perhaps, but not at the moment.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Dan Martin

Is not a serious GC contender. In future years perhaps, but not at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Mar ... mar.C3.A8s

and I did if you notice say that he will suffer on the long TT :!:
  • There was an article about Wiggins in a newspaper (Guardian?) a few days ago saying that his mentality this year is to go all out in every race he enters. I think he is favourite to defend his title and I can't see that scuppering his Tour chances at all.
    I am however doubtful that he can continue on such a rich vein of form to the olympic time trial where I think he will find it hard to medal. Having stated at the beginning of the season that his two aims were the tour and oly time trial, I think his training has been so climbing heavy that he wil struggle to keep up with Canc, Martin etc. and the tour has become Wiggins' only focus. On the plus we do now have the addition of David Millar (a decision that i personally dont agree with but good for Team GB).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Let's take a look at the average odds for overall. The top 5:

Bradley Wiggins 10/11
    Cadel Evans 11/2
    Tony Martin 8
    Vincenzo Nibali 17
    Janez Brajkovic 18

Though they're all from English bookmakers.