Aussie coming to UK over winter. Where to ride!!

nexusfish
nexusfish Posts: 9
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Gday,

My wife and I are spending 6 weeks in the UK visiting family over christmas and I want to squeeze in a bunch of riding during our travels. I rode the Afan forest park in wales on a crappy hire bike last July and thought the trails were absolutly awesome. This time I will bring a good bike to have a proper crack at them. Will have a tough all mountain bike set up for DH, XC and light freeride stuff (Giant reign XO).

We wont be going anywhere north of Birmingham (unless some good track is up there) and and will be covering the south pretty well.

So where are the must go destinations? Afan is back on the cards. Nowhere is too remote for a wicked singletrack.

Also, I need advice on weather proofing. When we were in South Wales in July it was the same as our winter temperature wise, so I have no REAL cold weather clothing. What would be a good UK winter set up? waterproof gloves? water proof jacket + shorts + shoe covers? I am pretty good with cold, but my wife says that i havent really experienced a UK winter so have no idea. She paints a pretty bleak picture but im pumped anyway.

Cheers for any advice.