I want to live in scotland!

jehosophat
jehosophat Posts: 108
edited June 2012 in MTB general
After reading this month's WMB with the article on Scottish trail centres, I have a major yearning to visit them all. I had no idea how many there were, and many look exceptional. They are a very long way from here but some time it must be worth the 8 hour drive rather than the usual CYB pilgrimage...

I would love to live in a properly hilly/mountainous area but I don't think I could sell it to my wife/daughter :cry:

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Yep, we are pretty lucky up here! 2 mins cycle from my door and i'm at the start of the trail.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    When I lived out in Austria I had some decent hills near me to ride. Saying that though, a smallish hill in Austria still has about 500m of elevation gain, so many people here class that as mountaineous. Was lovely living there though.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Can't wait for the crudcatcher trip in the last weekend in July. A group of about 10 of us are all heading up and staying right inbetween Glentress and Inners. Just wish it could have been longer.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's always somewhere better tbh- I wish I lived in the french alps ;) But yeah Scotland is pretty damn good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Scotland sounds awesome for riding, but on the downside it's full of Scottish type foreigners.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    dont forget Gingers! As the jocks are predominantly ginner and talk funny too! PMSL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Our ethnic cleansing is doing well at wiping out gingerness- give it a little more time.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a thing for redheads, just get rid of the male ones. Although as they wear skirts it might be hard to tell the difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Like so many ideal places I'd like to live, it just doesn't pay the bills up there, takes forever to travel anywhere or to get to civilisation, and the weather really really sucks most of the time, and it's cold.

Bit like why I moved out of Devon. Idyllic to a lot of people, but the jobs suck, the pay sucks, despite the nice summer beach image people think of the weather actually sucks as much as any other part of the country, though perhaps more wet than the south east, and it takes forever to travel to places where there is something to do. Basically I'll end up going back there to do what everyone else does... retire.

Though go to Scotland and you may be booted out in a few years time when they go independent.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    jehosophat wrote:
    some time it must be worth the 8 hour drive rather than the usual CYB pilgrimage...
    If you want to avoid the 8-hour drive to Scotlandland in the meantime, there's a meetric fuc*ton or firind near CYB that you should check out, both natural and waymarked.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    When I lived out in Austria I had some decent hills near me to ride. Saying that though, a smallish hill in Austria still has about 500m of elevation gain, so many people here class that as mountaineous. Was lovely living there though.

I was further west, Mountainmonster.....lived in St Anton for a season. Loved it so much that we went back in summer. Was surprised at how the austrians are missing a trick on the mtb front. Lots of lycra clad germans peddling up fireroads....and don't let you in the gondola with a bike.

Back to the OP though....I'd love a crack at the scottish trail centres - but it's just an obscene drive from the south east of the country....
  • vmgscot
    vmgscot Posts: 120
    The grass is always greener eh?

We just done a long weekend down at CyB and we live within 1 hour of nearly all the 7-stanes! I prefer CyB to any of the 7 stanes as it seems to offer more of what I prefer. I've actually stopped riding the Stanes this year as they were becoming bit too predictable and tiresome and am riding loads more natural stuff here is SW Scotland along with trips to other trails centres (Winlatter this past weekend - great).
    vmgscot
  • Pay certainly doesn't suck where i live in Scotland. Get a good job in the oil industry and you can expect a decent wage.

Cairngorm mountain range is an hour west and the local trails arn't too bad either. It does rain a lot and it can get cold but the next day can be the total opposite. Like anywhere it has good and bad points.
  • chrisski
    chrisski Posts: 79
    why wouldnt u want to live i scotland! well if we get independance u wont but they aint gonna happen realistically!
  • Paris 75
    Paris 75 Posts: 9
    jehosophat wrote:
    my wife/daughter

Sick and wrong.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Like so many ideal places I'd like to live, it just doesn't pay the bills up there, takes forever to travel anywhere or to get to civilisation, and the weather really really sucks most of the time, and it's cold...

Well, that all depends. In the cities you get all the normal city jobs, and they pay pretty much the same all over the country (London being an exception, I suppose). Plus the house prices/rents up here aren't astronomical either. Saying all that though, you do go through some right sh*tholes whilst driving to the trails, so maybe I just live in a good bit.

With regards to travel time, Glasgow is about an hour an half from Glentress, maybe two hours to Kirroughtree, and a bit longer to Fort William.

The weather is unreliable, yes, but often surprisingly good. I'm convinced that Glentress, for example, has its own micro-climate, as in my experience it very rarely seems to rain when I'm there. Unless it's snowing, of course. Like it was at the beginning of May... Hmmm...
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Paris 75 wrote:
    jehosophat wrote:
    my wife/daughter

Sick and wrong.

Best 1st post of teh evars!