Tubeless Q - Rim strips, when do you need them?

badgerjockey
badgerjockey Posts: 36
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Going tubeless on a pair of XC717s.

LBS say just use Stan's yellow tape, sealant and some UST beaded tyres and I'll be away.

Is this right? Don't I need the rubber rim strips too or are they just for when you use non-UST tyres?

Also not sure if the UST bead will fit in the 717 hook...

Finally, am I better of with standard tyres and rubber rim strips or just putting rubber rim strips in with the ust tyres to be sure...?

Fun and games.
H

Comments

• brandfreak
    brandfreak Posts: 137
    Welcome to the wonderful world of tubeless.

Stans yellow tape (Olympic rim strip fits Stans rims very nicely - don't know if it will fit XC717) you will need tubeless valves also. Stans do a conversion kit which uses a rubber insert (go for XC version to suit your rims).

You don't need UST tyres (this refers to tyres with a thin coat of rubber inside to make them airtight when run with a UST rim. Go for tubeless ready or your choice of "normal" tyre and run with some sealant. If you choose "normal" tyres don't go with race oriented tyres as they may be too flimsy to hold their shape and "burp" air when cornering.

I have used tubeless ready rims for years, bontrager, stans and roval. Running them with tubelss ready tyres, I have never had a problem. I have recently run Stans Crest rims with Panaracer Cinder and again not had a problem.

I say give it a try, if you get on with a tubeless set-up (lower pressures, a more compliant tyre, fewer if any punctures) then eventually look at going for a tubeless ready rim/wheel upgrade or full UST rim/wheel.

There is plenty of info out there - give it a go