MTB route review in the Telegraph....whatever next!

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited June 2012 in MTB general
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/outdoors/outdoor-activities/5549353/Britains-50-best-cycle-routes-top-25-mountain-biking-routes.html#

A bit old I know but stumbled across this. Curious what people think about the reviews, pleasantly surprised to see 2 in my area!! Now looking forward to hearing MBR's perspective on the Eurozone crisis in next month's edition.
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Cheddar Gorge ride is a bit rubbish to be honest. There is much better riding a few miles away at Rowberrow.
    Quantocks are the best area to ride in the world!I have not rode a lot of places but I would imagine that Smiths Coombe is better than Whistler's A-Line trail :-)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I think Smiths Coombe lacks a little of the vert that A-line benefits from! :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chrisski
    chrisski Posts: 79
    load of cr@p im sure more routes from scotland could have been in! 4 out of 25 hmmmmmm
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think Smiths Coombe lacks a little of the vert that A-line benefits from!

Nope. Smiths Coombe is better though A-Line in to Crabapple Hits is nearly as good as Dead Womans Ditch.
  • handful
    Where is Smith's Coombe Rockmonkey? I've been up to the Q's a few times but wouldn't say I know it that well so I may have inadvertantly been down it! Is it that one near Holford/Hodders?

I'm hoping to get down at the end of the month and would like to try it out if you could give me some idea? Thanks
    Orbea Rise
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    QECP is okay and the new stuff is nice, but it's (in distance) 70% climb, 30% descending, and hour and a bit worth of riding, and job done. Hardly one of the best.

Afan and CYB beat it by miles. Surrey Hills even, or Swinley! Not that these would rank high compared to the Scottish ones I'm sure, but QECP third? !
  • rockmonkeysc
    Smiths Coombe is towards the south end of the main ridge on the west side, look north west from the trig point and head to a clump of trees about quater of a mile away. It's marked on OS maps. Somerton Coombe & Dead Womans Ditch are also great descents. Triscombe Stone is amazing if you like a bit more gnarr in your ride, loads of great trails. If you can find it The Chimney in Greatwood is a lot of fun.
    I could spend a year riding no-where but the Quantocks, XC & DH & not get bored.
  • handful
    Great stuff, thanks Rockmonkey. I think I may have been down there before, I have generally just gone 'blind' when I've been before and know most of it but can never remember where I've been!! The mendips is a lot closer to home for me but I agree that the Quantocks are fantastic. Just don't keep telling everyone as it's still a bit of a hidden jewel! I should have my Garmin 800 by the time I get down there so should be able to do some more structured rides in future :lol:
    Orbea Rise