fork upgrade

treadzmac
treadzmac Posts: 32
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
OK so im looking to change my forks, i ride mainly trail and freeride and the odd commute to work. Just wondering if i shud go coil or air, looking to spend £300-350. ANy views would be great.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike, and what fork is on there? Also what standards do you require ie steerer type, dropouts/axles?
  • treadzmac
    Its a flet q520 just a standard suntour fork that came on the bike. Would rather upgrade on the axle than QR which is on there. Headsets a 1 1/8 zerostack semi intergrated.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Air everytime for me due to ease of adjustment, Ive got a right ball ache getting the right springs for my XCR's cos im a lard arse!

Suntour Epicons would work imo
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • supersonic
    If you upgrade the to a 15/20mm fork you will need a new wheelset.

Take a look at the RockShox Reba series.
  • treadzmac
    I wudnt say i was a lardy more musuclar lol at 14st but finding it hard going with my forks bottomin out and loosing the front end due to lack of rebound and control makes it hard work later into trails.
  • treadzmac
    SS ive got supertar switch hubs on there
  • treadzmac
    excuse my supidity but what max travel could i go to ?
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    Are you aware you can get stronger springs and updated elastomers for those forks to save you a bit of money??

I know its not gonna help too much with the damping but speak to the guys at Greyville enterprises and they will be able to give you some pointers in the right direction and maybe hang on to the cash for something else?

Although I do agree a much better fork would cure all, cant harm to try and sort what youve got and save some pennies??
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • supersonic
    I think I'd still upgrade - save a lot of weight, plu sbetter damping, stiffness and adjustment.

Changing the end caps is a good idea. 120mm max I would think, but check warranty, maybe 100mm.
  • treadzmac
    I defo want to upgrade on my current fork thats for sure.
    Was thinkin 120mm max tho.
  • treadzmac
    Just ordered my white 100mm rebas got them for £220 with the voucher off wiggle so im well happy. Thanx for the advice. Cant wait to get them on and hit the trails with some decen forks.