Garmin Edge 800 - Any good?

andymc06
andymc06 Posts: 245
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

As above. Any experience with or comments on the Garmin Edge 800? Is it any good / worth the cash? Would be looking at the trail package with maps but no HR monitor or cadence sensor.

Cheers

Andy
If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Yes
  • Great piece of kit. I bought the 800 with the OS maps and would recommend.
  • Garmin like to channel consumer spending by creating the idea they produce niche products for specific activities. The Edge is obviously aimed at cycling and does its job very well. It may not be the best choice though, so it is worth looking at exactly what features you want from a GPS. If you want to focus on training and fitness the Edge is a wise choice. However, if you are more interested in navigation, route planning and the use of GPX files, then you may find you get more value for money out of an oregon series model or an etrex model. These do not come with bike mounts, but they are £10 on amazon. In my opinion, the oregon and etrex benefit from the use of AA batteries; definately more expensive in the long run, but give you more freedom in terms of prolonged/remote activites. It is easier to change AAs when you are in the sticks for a few days, with no access to a laptop or power socket.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Garmin like to channel consumer spending by creating the idea they produce niche products for specific activities. The Edge is obviously aimed at cycling and does its job very well. It may not be the best choice though, so it is worth looking at exactly what features you want from a GPS. If you want to focus on training and fitness the Edge is a wise choice. However, if you are more interested in navigation, route planning and the use of GPX files, then you may find you get more value for money out of an oregon series model or an etrex model. These do not come with bike mounts, but they are £10 on amazon. In my opinion, the oregon and etrex benefit from the use of AA batteries; definitely more expensive in the long run, but give you more freedom in terms of prolonged/remote activites. It is easier to change AAs when you are in the sticks for a few days, with no access to a laptop or power socket.

+1
    MJP
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've just got an 800, used it in the Malverns at the weekend and was very impressed with the unit and the OSM (not OS) maps I installed.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Just bought the Garmin South-East France Maps on Amazon.fr for €20 delivered. This set is listed at $190+delivery on the Garmin site!

Now just need the Edge 800 to go with the maps :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Garmin like to channel consumer spending by creating the idea they produce niche products for specific activities. The Edge is obviously aimed at cycling and does its job very well. It may not be the best choice though, so it is worth looking at exactly what features you want from a GPS. If you want to focus on training and fitness the Edge is a wise choice. However, if you are more interested in navigation, route planning and the use of GPX files, then you may find you get more value for money out of an oregon series model or an etrex model. These do not come with bike mounts, but they are £10 on amazon. In my opinion, the oregon and etrex benefit from the use of AA batteries; definitely more expensive in the long run, but give you more freedom in terms of prolonged/remote activites. It is easier to change AAs when you are in the sticks for a few days, with no access to a laptop or power socket.

Which models in particular? I'm basically after something I can upload a route to then follow it. I'm not bothered about the training side of things (I use Endomondo & Strava to get a rough idea of stats) - something that can take a knock or three would be useful too :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

Which models in particular? I'm basically after something I can upload a route to then follow it. I'm not bothered about the training side of things (I use Endomondo & Strava to get a rough idea of stats) - something that can take a knock or three would be useful too :wink:

www.garmin.co.uk
    www.satmap.co.uk