All credit to Woy

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
he may come across as a boring bastard but he's got a young squad playing some really solid football.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I think he'll prove to be a good choice.He'll always get a rough ride from the press though because he's not 'Arry.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    he's not 'Arry, but he does sound like 'Arold

you dirty old man
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    he may come across as a boring bastard but he's got a young squad playing some really solid football.

I agree, apart from the solid football bit. Did you happen to watch any of either game?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

Its definitely not solid... just slow, lethargic and boring. (apart from Welbeck who made the most of the pathetic level of service that he received.)

I'm just hoping that the squad will put some effort into the games in the Euros.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    nope theyre quite solid - theyre keeping their shape - admit its defensive but it deffo solid.
  • jim453
    nope theyre quite solid - theyre keeping their shape - admit its defensive but it deffo solid.

'keeping their shape'. How very amusing. Are you some kind of eighties throwback?

They were worse than awful. Tonight was marginally less terrible. When they meet a half decent team they will need to be able to keep the ball. They can't, game over.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    but they keep their shape - they're quite solid. Ok try this - They're quite solid - they keep their shape. Is...it....sinking....in.....yet.... :D
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    A piece of wood is solid and also keeps it shape quite well. It also has the added bonus of being able to be turned into an item of furniture. Cheaper than a pussyballer as well. Mind you the lack of screaming when you set to work with a chisel is a real let down.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Cleat Eastwood
    but the piece of wood wasnt playing tonight - carrol was on the bench. :D
  • jim453
    but they keep their shape - they're quite solid. Ok try this - They're quite solid - they keep their shape. Is...it....sinking....in.....yet.... :D

Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching with a liberal dose of blind optimism, because that's all I have, as always. I hope they do well, same as you. The last two performances were awful though, I cannot agree that they were even remotely 'solid'.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Watching England play football is just not enjoyable, like having teeth pulled.We always look so inferior when we come up against teams who know how to keep the ball, whereas we seem to want to get rid of it as soon as we take possession. Thankfully there does seem to be a more realistic expectation level amongst the fans and the press for these Euros though.
  • alihisgreat
    but the piece of wood wasnt playing tonight - carrol was on the bench. :D

:lol:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Well it wasn't pretty but I think solid is a fair description. Belgium haven't qualified but the paper I read today described them as the best team that weren't going to be there and we beat them. This is probably the worst England squad ever - especially minus Rooney - so maybe playing uninspiring solid football gives them the best chance of winning games.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Well it wasn't pretty but I think solid is a fair description. Belgium haven't qualified but the paper I read today described them as the best team that weren't going to be there and we beat them. This is probably the worst England squad ever - especially minus Rooney - so maybe playing uninspiring solid football gives them the best chance of winning games.
    England 2012 = Greece 2004.
    You have a chance.
    A better chance than Scotland :wink:
    Tatics are about the same :oops:
    Better actually. You have never tried Craig Levin's 6-4-0 formation :oops: :oops: :oops: Yet :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Poor Roy for being dropped into a shitstorm. Bank the cheques and say repeatedly 'there's no place like home, there's no place like home'.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I hate football / England bashing but...

It is really dispiriting to see the degradation of passing skills in English football in the past 20 years. They cannot keep possession and it is very depressing.

Chief culprit is Gerrard who tries to execute the killer ball with every touch and just gives the ball away. I think it was Eriksson who often played Gerrard on the left and when asked to justify playing English football's "most gifted" player on the margins of the game, he said he didn't want a Roy of the Rovers type player (which is what he was doing for LFC at the time) trying to win the game by himself, attempting the perfect pass the whole time. I paraphrase slightly and may have even got the source wrong, but I think the sentiment is accurate.

As much as I have found Lampard (I know he's injured) unlikeable, at least he can keep possession and play the simple ball. What has happened to the other midfielders with this much needed discipline (at international level)?

Is it partly the rush to get the ball forward that means team mates do not drop and move in to space creating triangles? There seldom seemed to be players to play the simple ball to last night, we just played areas.

Generally, congratulations to Roy and the boys last night though. He is arguably doing what Lancaster did in his first couple of games with the rugby team - create a club atmosphere, instill a work ethic and some pride, and lay some foundations to build on. We have got enough talent to compete, we just need a little more confidence and a little more patience in possession.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    jim453 wrote:

I agree, apart from the solid football bit. Did you happen to watch any of either game?

Do you know anything about football :?:
  • jim453
    Yes, why? do you?
  • alihisgreat
    Roy's surpassed himself now... Martin Kelly over Rio Ferdinand... he is sabotaging the team!

Or just trying to turn it into the Liverpool squad? But he couldn't win with them in a Liverpool shirt... so what makes him think it will be different in am England shirt?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Roy's surpassed himself now... Martin Kelly over Rio Ferdinand... he is sabotaging the team!

Or just trying to turn it into the Liverpool squad? But he couldn't win with them in a Liverpool shirt... so what makes him think it will be different in am England shirt?
    Maybe he just thinks Rio is over the hill and injury prone. Wouldn't be far wrong.
    Gambling on the future instead of the past :?:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • alihisgreat
    daviesee wrote:

Maybe he just thinks Rio is over the hill and injury prone. Wouldn't be far wrong.
    Gambling on the future instead of the past :?:

If he's over the hill and injury prone then how come he's played 38 games this season?

Regardless of that, martin kelly is a fringe player for the team that finished 8th in the league... who hasn't even got 20 caps this season!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agreed - Ferdinand has played more games this season than Kelly has in his career. It's a tournament and we've qualified - we should be trying to win it (don't laugh) and worry about the future afterwards. It's clear that John Terry's inclusion is dictating whether Ferdinand is selected or not - I reckon for a lot of people that stinks.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ShutUpLegs

Regardless of that, martin kelly is a fringe player for the team that finished 8th in the league... who hasn't even got 20 caps this season!

Liverpool conceded a goal every 138 minutes with Kelly on the pitch in the 11/12 PL, the best rate for any of their players.
  • alihisgreat
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Liverpool conceded a goal every 138 minutes with Kelly on the pitch in the 11/12 PL, the best rate for any of their players.

generally you play your fringe players against bad teams?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    They need one of the commenators to have a Brian Moore moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQWT-B0EBw) - Even the RFU started to change things after that....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Woy hasn't lost yet - a win is a win, but above all respect him for being his own self. There was no point at all coming in and picking the same old same old that was his predecessor's team.

if he is any good in the job he will pick a team that play his type of football, it may not be pretty, but neither is German football, and we might prefer to have their track record in major tournaments then ours !
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

generally you play your fringe players against bad teams?

Maybe check the teams he played against and substantiate your statement.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    If Terry and Ferdinand can't be in the same squad together give me Terry any day.
  • I reckon Ferdinand's much publicised back injury is the reason he isn't in the team. If you had to choose between Terry and Ferdinand for a whole tournament (assuming that keeping both would be bad for team morale) then you'd go for the one who is more likely to last the distance of tournament football. Seems an easy one.

I reckon Hodgson is an excellent choice, the only England manager in history with international experience, and world cup experience at that.

I wish you guys all the best this year, but Germany will win it.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I can't understand the fuss being made in some quarters over Ferdinand's omission. Alex Ferguson has even said this season that his fitness is such that he is unable to play back to back games, not much use in a tournament if you can't recover from a game in a couple of days. And with Gary Neville now on the coaching team I'd be amazed if he has not given Roy some inside information regarding this.

And any chance Ferdinand may have had of being called up has certainly not been helped by his gobby agent. Rio should tweet him and tell him to shut the feck up!