Nukeproof frames

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I'm strangely tempted to buy a Nukeproof Scalp, never liked the way they look & I know the Mega had issues with the back end cracking but the Scalp is excellent value, probably as good value as ze germans. I was told that Nukeproof's frames are made by a major manufacturer rather than just a cheap one from a cheap frame factory (like the Identiti Mogul).
Are Nukeproof's frames well built & solid?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Where is the Identiti made then out of interest?
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    Have any of the 2012 Nukeproof mega frames had issues?I havnt heard of any.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Where is the Identiti made then out of interest?

From what I was told by a slightly disgruntled Identiti DH racer they are basically a cheap catalogue frame. They certainly ride like one, not a very nice frame at all.

I'm not sure about 2012 Nukeproofs but I have met a couple riders with Mega's who had snapped them, might have been early models.
  • supersonic
    Without him saying why it is not nice, then is really hard to sum up what he is on about. Loads of frames we see are made by the big factories over in the far east.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I rode one, not sure exactly what it is but the back end just didn't work. Pedal kick back was pretty bad & it had no sensitivity to small bumps and just never felt stable.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    There was a revised chainstay on the mega, all current owners got sent one, so no issues with that anymore. However I hear the CRC/Nukeproof team get through a lot of scalp frames each year, not sure how true that is...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    I rode one, not sure exactly what it is but the back end just didn't work. Pedal kick back was pretty bad & it had no sensitivity to small bumps and just never felt stable.

Then where it is made and buy who will have little impact - you need to look at the sus design/geo or test one. The Scalp looks to have a very similar pivot position, so pedal kickback and chain growth would be about the same. Maybe - test ;-)
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266

Was it set up to your weight and preferences? It comes accross that you just had a few runs on a friends; which may well mean it wasn't set up in they style to whcih you're acustomed. Can't blame the bike for that.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • rockmonkeysc
    I did notice at Coombe Sydenham BDS race that Scalps are very popular with racers. Unfortunately I don't know any one with one I can try.
    That Identiti just felt wrong, I have rode plenty of bikes not set up for me but the Mogul was just awful. I tried a Demo and a Glory the same day, they were a million times better.