An IQ Puzzle

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Ok heres the puzzle - its multiple choice - you just have to say what the missing letter is.

I had a go but was wrong (even though my logic was quite funky)- I now know the answer but I can't fathom the logic, so if you have a go can you explain the logic too.

puzzle.jpg

the options are

1. B
2. D
3. T
4. X
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    O.As in LOL. :)
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Is it D? I have got some kind of logic to back this up, but if i am right dont want to ruin it for everyone?h
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,139
    substitute the each letter with the value of it's position in the alphabet

the value in the leftmost column modulo 10 equals the sum modulo 10 of the corresponding row of the centre and rightmost columns

substituting in the values of b, d, t, x, the one consistent with the above rule is t

but you can choose any answer you like, there'll be an infinite number of solutions showing it to be the true one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cleat Eastwood
    sungod wrote:
    substitute the each letter with the value of it's position in the alphabet

the value in the leftmost column modulo 10 equals the sum modulo 10 of the corresponding row of the centre and rightmost columns

substituting in the values of b, d, t, x, the one consistent with the above rule is t

but you can choose any answer you like, there'll be an infinite number of solutions showing it to be the true one

Indeed the answer is 'T' - thats a very well spotted answer - i did substitute numbers for letters but even then I couldnt see a connection - it was the 8-5-3 line that threw me. well done.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    What does modulo 10 mean?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Cleat Eastwood
    NapoleonD wrote:
    What does modulo 10 mean?

I think its like regulo 7, ie you can cook pizza but chickens a no no. :D
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Divide by 10 and take only the remainder. i.e. for 15 modulo 10: 15 divided by 10 equals 1 remainder 5, so 15mod10 = 5.

Same for other divisors as well, i.e. 22mod7 = 1
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,139
    a more challenging puzzle would be...

it is june, it is ten degrees celcius, after a three hour ride you have been soaked to the skin, where is summer?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny