Ryder...

Moomaloid
Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
edited June 2012 in Pro race
So whats people thoughts then? After a tough race I think he showed real class in the way in took the Giro. Calculated his efforts really well and proved that he is a worthy GT winner. I have to say i didn't expect him to be making the transition so soon, if ever actually, but glad to be proven wrong.

I was really impressed with his manner off the bike too. Seems super grounded. Granted he was never put under any extreme pressure in the race, but he coped with everything put in front of him. His ride the day before the Stelvio stage was really strong, but it was his ride on the Stelvio that impressed me most. He looked uncomfortable on the bike, maybe that was just his lanky frame, but he did look like he was giving everything and was expected to do all the chase of De Gendt.

So, having won a mountainous GT, in hindsight, should Garmin have kept him back for the 'easier' parcour of the Tour? (I know they perhaps didn't expect the Giro win)

Comments

• I was really impressed, for a while there i was waiting for him to crack but it became pretty obvious that he was strong enough. I think he was tested on Stage 19 and showed he could respond to some attacks, same with the Stelvio.

As far as the Tour goes, no they made the right decision Ryder wouldn't beat Wiggins or Evans.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Ryder did a great job taking time where he thought he could and maintaining his position for the more difficult stages. I would consider Ryder a very serious threat to both Wiggins and Evans in the future. Wiggins and Evans are not much of attacking climbers like a Contador so Ryder in my view would be able to follow better on the climbs and his time trialing is up there with those guys. Next year!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Question is, which was a tougher ride - winning the Giro or coming 6th in the Tour? :twisted:

I like that an English speaking team took a race like the Giro very seriously. It's a great race, and it deserves to be taken seriously outside of Italy (and Spain). He also rode very well - he definitely had days in the first week where he was really suffering and he managed to avoid losing any time, and he came good in the final week - all qualities of a worthy champion.

He also wasn't afraid of anyone - which given the rep. italians have in their home GT is something that we shouldn't under-estimate (though it certainly wasn't like it was during the '87 Giro).
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    -
    Ryder did a great job taking time where he thought he could and maintaining his position for the more difficult stages. I would consider Ryder a very serious threat to both Wiggins and Evans in the future. Wiggins and Evans are not much of attacking climbers like a Contador so Ryder in my view would be able to follow better on the climbs and his time trialing is up there with those guys. Next year!

Ryder's TT'ing is nowhere near Wiggins or Evans level.

The thing that really helped Ryder was that Liquigas need to use a tactic that suits him. Strong pace in the mountains, but they keep it rolling. In the Tour, you're going to have people who can go off the front and will, so the whole dynamic will change. I don't think there will be a team in the Tour who can dictate the pace like Liquigas did.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    -

The thing that really helped Ryder was that Liquigas need to use a tactic that suits him. Strong pace in the mountains, but they keep it rolling. In the Tour, you're going to have people who can go off the front and will, so the whole dynamic will change. I don't think there will be a team in the Tour who can dictate the pace like Liquigas did.

Sky might, with a little BMC help.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    iainf72 wrote:
    -

This is true. The whole changing of pace and people constantly having to be chased doesn't suit Ryder. Same could be said for Wiggins. Both are very much more the diesel types.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Moomaloid wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    -

This is true. The whole changing of pace and people constantly having to be chased doesn't suit Ryder. Same could be said for Wiggins. Both are very much more the diesel types.

Whilst I agree with most of what's been written here, lets not forget that Ryder attacked twice on uphill finishes and dropped al the favourites in the Giro.

Despite this I think that the stronger field at the Tour means the Giro was his best shot.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    While there are likely to be more riders trying to attack in the tour there will also be more teams trying to control the pace. Both Sky and BMC for example are likely to try and fill the role that Liquigas did in the Giro.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    If Sky can ride like they did at the Vuelta teams will find it hard to attack them on the climbs. Dropping Nibs, J-Rod et al on some of those Spanish climbs was no mean feat
  • cycling5280
    While there are likely to be more riders trying to attack in the tour there will also be more teams trying to control the pace. Both Sky and BMC for example are likely to try and fill the role that Liquigas did in the Giro.

I agree that Sky and BMC will try to ride a hard tempo to keep attacks to a minimum but they are going to have their hands full. I can see alliances forming already in this Tour with the attackers/not so good time trialist making moves together. Guys like Sanchez and Valverde and even the Schlecks. Then they will have to watch teams with potentially two GC contender like Vande Velde and Danielson. I could see Garmin sendinf Danielson up the road with a Sanchez attack and keeping Vande Velde with Wiggins and Cadel since his TT ability is a bit closer to those guys. And then who knows what kind of tactics Gesink, Menchov and Levi will pull. It will be an exciting Tour!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    apparently he's riding Le Tour. Going for the double...
  • cycling5280
    pat1cp wrote:
    apparently he's riding Le Tour. Going for the double...

Garmin has 3 serious cards to play for the Tour. It will be interesting how they play their cards and how other teams will respond. If Danielson gets in a break with a mtn top finish do you give him any leash?