What to upgrade?

fergo
fergo Posts: 56
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Got a 2010 Carrera Vengeance Ltd, happy with it but was thinking to upgrade parts to try and lose weight on it, what parts would you upgrade to help make it lighter? Thinking of forks (RS Dart 1's at the mo) or handlebars (also as I fancy a new colour!)

cheers

Comments

• chilli_man
    chilli_man Posts: 15
    try the wheels as rolling weight on wheels makes a differance also stock parts such as handlebars stem seat post and of course fork but would go for something like a rs recon to feel a weight differance as darts are heavy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forks without any doubt. They weigh nearly 2600g and have no damping. A Reba would save a kilo and perform far, far better.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Forks and wheels for sure.

However spending money to save weight definitely means its diminishing returns, in the end it's just not worth chucking cash at a bike to save a few grams.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    waby1234 wrote:
    Forks and wheels for sure.

However spending money to save weight definitely means its diminishing returns, in the end it's just not worth chucking cash at a bike to save a few grams.
    Replacing a dart with a Reba, though, is one of the better ways to save a ton of weight. Get a lighter set of tyres, and you've transformed the bike.
  • Nelson56
    Nelson56 Posts: 79
    I would change the forks, handle bars and maybe the size of the seat post just to loss some weight
    Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12858984
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nelson56 wrote:
    I would change the forks, handle bars and maybe the size of the seat post just to loss some weight

Strange one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    Nelson56 wrote:

Strange one.
    Strange/useless is about par for the course round here though.